. .
    Hello one and all,

I'm joining because I will soon be building a cnc machine of my very own and have been lurking as a guest for a while, so I would like to finalise my build and help others with a complete build-log and (perhaps) a different take on things.

My first experience with a cnc was 10 years ago as a budding mechanical engineering applicant doing an experience project for a larger company, it was introduced to me as an expensive wonder-tool by the engineers, and this may be imagined hindsight, but some shared eye rolling from the technicians. Since then I've looked at them lustfully every know and then, but always considered them out of my price range. My general fabrication background is some lathe work (owning a lovely Myford ML7 for a while) lots of home and other wood work, including plenty of turning and some pottery (a reasonable understanding of kiln manufacture).

My more personal background is buried somewhere in the design and ideas realm, and I'm quite far from the precise machinist sort. Alas. Only in the last two years have I had the financial good fortune to own something more deluxe than a hand me down power drill and I have been hopping from interest to interest to explore producing my ideas. The biggest denominator in my experiences has been lack of versatility, and the requirement for more tools/skill-sets than I can manage. I'm hoping the CNC is my ticket to manufacturing bliss. Learn one set of skills (the running, programming and maintenance of the CNC) and apply it to various materials, shapes and projects - yippee!

A presto,

Maurizio!

Welcome to the forum Maurizio.
    My own experience is that once you have built/bought a machine you (and those around you) will keep finding more and more things to make with it that you hadn't thought of. Sounds like you already have more than enough work for it already though.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Welcome Maurizio

Once the machining bug gets to you you will find it is impossible to shake off! A lifetime of pleasure awaits.

Regards
    John

Thanks Kitwin,
    Indeed, the list of projects to make on it is growing as fast as the number of revisions I'm making to my design!

Hi John,

It's already been a thrill making the things that I have. I really am very excited to get a CNC and get cracking. Who knows where the rabbit hole leads?

Thread Information