. .
    So I have the yellow wired stepper Pic A Below

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download (5).jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	29463

and I'm making the plugs for this board and its wired with the black one.. Pic B below

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-01-31_19-20-50.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	29464

do I wire the plug to yellow wire diagram ? I know it sounds like a n00b question but I thought its better to ask than set fire to something lol

:)

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    As long as the correct coil pairs are matched, the only difference it'll make is what direction the motor runs.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Okay, I've spent 2 minutes on the Makerbase website and given up - have you got instructions for the board, and in particular which are the A+/A- and B+/B- terminals on those 4 way plugs?

If so - it's easy - work out the coil pairs on the stepper? If you have an Ohm meter (DMM etc) then measure which pair of leads has ~1-3 Ohms resistance between them - of the four wires, there are two pairs each with that low resistance. Then you need to wire ANY pair to the corresponding A+/A- pins (doesn't matter which way around). Wire the OTHER pair to the B+/B- pins - again, doesn't matter which way around. There's a 50/50 chance that the motor will spin in the wrong direction - then swap the pins on ONE pair only (so swap A+/A-, for example).

If you don't have a meter... buy one. Or short two wires on the motor together (with nothing else connected, of course!) - if you find two that makes it more difficult to rotate the motor by hand - you've found a pair. Confirm by shorting the other pair with a similar increase in resistance to rotation.

If it makes you feel better - you're not going to burn the house down. The one thing you must do, however, is avoid removing the stepper wiring when power is applied - it's a good way to destroy the drivers (read up on collapsing EM fields)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddy For This Useful Post:

Its the red an black wire that always throws me, I keep thinking its live/earth but of course its just polls. It worked wired as in the diagram.
    Thanks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 49 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
    Its the red an black wire that always throws me, I keep thinking its live/earth but of course its just polls. It worked wired as in the diagram.
    Thanks
    Remember electricity does not care about the colour. In Spain the black wire is the live phase, where as here it used to be red now it it brown
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

I pinned one of them up with single puponts in case it it didn't work but worked fine first time

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Remember electricity does not care about the colour. In Spain the black wire is the live phase, where as here it used to be red now it it brown
    In the USA they use black for positive and white for negative. You find a lot of imported 12V stuff for cars and caravans in Australia like that which throws any ex-pom who assumes that black is still negative and only the positive colour has changed!
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Thread Information