. .

Thread: Driver help

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thats exactly what I have now. Seems to be ok except I think the y axis has blown. Im going to try using the b axis output this afternoon, and If that works ill buy another couple

It's certainly possible to blow a single output - though a little unusual. Definitely worth substituting B - yup. If you still have a problem then think of the signal chain (for example, you could use another channel on the UC300 - just remember not all are the same, but there's at least 2 with the 11-outputs/5 input configuration.

Yep I tried changing from port 2 to 3 but no difference

I've just read the thread through - yeah, try changing the outputs still, but keep in mind the stepper drivers. In a pinch, I'd try disconnecting the step/pulse input to the driver and just flashing 5v across it (make/break with a bit of stripped wire) - all correct polarity of course. Quick way to check that the driver hasn't been borked along the way. Zero-cost, removes a component from the diagnostics.

I used z wiring on the y driver and it works so definately the bob

Well I've sorted the issue. Turns out the new cat 5 cable i used to wire the drivers had a break it it somewhere. Used a new bit of cable and success. Doddy, do you use the screw terminals or do you have connectors to plug in to the board?

I tend to use the screw terminals (with ferrules), bit daft since I have the connectors (I think). But screw-terminals allow you to maintain things with a banana, at a push :)

Do you know what type of connectors they are?

Quote Originally Posted by johngoodrich View Post
    Do you know what type of connectors they are?
    Well... I have JST-XH's in my purchase history.... and something visually similar in the shed that mates with the board... Yeah, I'd go with XHs.

Quote Originally Posted by johngoodrich View Post
    Well I've sorted the issue. Turns out the new cat 5 cable i used to wire the drivers had a break it it somewhere. Used a new bit of cable and success. Doddy, do you use the screw terminals or do you have connectors to plug in to the board?
    That rings a bell, I'm sure someone else had a similar problem a while back. Was it monofilament cable?

I've got one of these which turns a laptop into a two channel oscilloscope and has proved invaluable for tracing pulsed signals and would have found your broken wire very quickly. No doubt there are those who will say it's too complex a bit of gear for some people to use but in trying to fault-find on a CNC router you are already dealing with a complex bit of gear and need the right tools to show you what's going on. It's part of my standard electronics tool kit along with my multimeter and soldering iron. Is it expensive? Depends on how much money you would have wasted on replacing BOBs, drivers and other components that were never faulty.

Kit

https://au.element14.com/pico-techno...g/dp/236542501
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information