. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi i brought a mini table saw which came with a combination off-on-speed controller. when started the motor "pulses" it seems to reach speed then just drops off then starts up again. the faster the speed controlled the faster it pulses and dies.
    10,000 rmp is over twice what i want to use a rpm
    I tried a 500w fan -light dimmer but that let all the magic smoke out.
    Can someone answer if a 500W ceiling fan speed controller work with this motor. ive already blown $25 for the dimmer and a 500w fan controller is $50.
    or do i need a AC 220V 4000W SCR Voltage Regulator Dimmer Electronic Motor Speed Controller
    specs
    input voltage: AC 220V
    Voltage regulation: AC 0-220V
    Maximum power: 4000 W
    Current: 25A
    as in pic

appreciate any help
    regards Richard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	750551678.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	29738  

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Day Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    It depends on what kind of motor is fitted.

If it's an induction motor, then the only way to control speed is by altering the supply frequency, which you can't really do with a single phase motor.
    If it's a DC brushed motor, then that SCR drive should work.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Surely there is something wrong with that "on-off speed controller". The way you describe it, is not normal, no motor speed controller should do that. Contact the seller and request a repair or refund. Is the saw OK if you run at full speed?

There is also no way of knowing that the dimmer you are showing is for inductive or resistive loads, and since it seems to be a cheap eBay version, I'd suspect it is NOT as you describe it, it can definitely not handle 4kW inductive load.

You say it is for a mini table saw, but how is the motor? What sort of brand and design is that? What are the motor specifications? I have a Proxxon mini saw with 85W motor, I don't even dream about reducing the rpm, because it would just stop. Also my large Bosch is always running at full speed, even though it has a 1.8kW motor. Why would you want to reduce the rpm? You know that by doing that, you also severely reduce the torque.

Hi
    the supplier actually sent me replacement saw but it as well as his whole stock did the same weird pulsing. he refunded totally and told me to keep the 2 hes already sent
    he cant (or cant be bothered repairing them) all brand new in boxes etc from Yes "china" from a tool sale shop in NZ
    a 150mm tungsten blade running at 10,000 rpm is a very scary thing it scream and shakes the saw, far to fast
    see pics of original speed controller
    i am only cutting 5mm thick timber sheets so thats why i brought a mini saw. it will work fine if the speed pulse issue can go also specs of a local fan dimmer specs. would this work ( 500W)

Name:	IMG_5125.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	269.4 KB 
ID:	29740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5126.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	255.3 KB 
ID:	29741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5123.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	271.0 KB 
ID:	29742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5124.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	301.0 KB 
ID:	29743  

see pic

Name:	IMG_5115.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	29744  

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Day Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    That looks just like a pretty standard brushed motor, like you'd find on a router/drill (if you happen to have a broken router/drill, you could butcher the speed controller from them..)

I'm trying to remember if a basic PWM type speed controller will work with that.
    Something tells me, the field windings still need full power, and you control speed through only regulating the armature power, but it's been that long since I've dealt with an AC brushed motor, I can't actually remember.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

sorry details
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by rjsutton View Post
    see pic
    Are you sure that the blade is running at 10K or is it geared belted down for more toque.

Does that work out at 4800 Mtr per tooth !!

Googled 6-1/2″ 4500 – 8000 rpm SFM
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Hi direct feed of motor armature. no gearbox motor speed listed as 10,000 rmp
    thanks

Complete guesswork here, but the pulsing may be from an overcurrent protection kicking in, given the initial "stall" current of the motor may be many times the rated operaing current of the motor. In which case you need either a dedicated motor-speed controller (rather than a light dimmer) or serious overrate the dimmer (factor 10x +)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information