. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Now I had time to finish the video about the no load test. It is very quiet when there is nothing atached to the shaft.

Yesterday and today I 3D printed these wheels which will serve as machine wheels when it is time for the first turning job. Printing time: 7.5 hours each. Made out of three pieces each.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z07_3330_2k.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	30317

Have not yet decided if I will digitize my lathe or not. That decision will be made after some tests, and these wheels will be used until that decision is made.

If anyone is interested in the hand wheel, I made a video about it. There is also a link to more pictures and text and details about how to download the stl files in case you want to print and make one or two for yourself.

I am now ready with the actual basic design and first version of my DIY micro lathe. So far it's only for manual drive, and not really did any test run yet, but the machine is ready and usable as a manual lathe. Not tested yet, because I want some safety features before I make a real test cut, so it is still only cutting air, but any day from now, I'll see if it works or not, but I am quite confident that it will work as I planned and designed it for, mainly small aluminium and plastic parts. If I manage to cut steel also then that will be bonus. Will probably also use for grinding and some threading.

Anyway, here is my latest video, showing the current status.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to A_Camera For This Useful Post:

Very nice little lathe look forward to seeing it cutting.

Phill

Thank you. I will keep this thread updated and will definitely post about success or failure after the first cut.

The last video of 2021, before popping the Champagne...

I am finally ready enough to use my lathe, and in fact have even used for more than just testing, in this video I am making parts for my lathe, but I even made some parts on order, which are not in this video. Of course, free of charge since the order was made by my son who needed two adapters and some aluminium plugs for his own DIY Christmas present project.

Anyway, I am very happy with the results so far, and will continue improving and digitizing it.

Happy New Year everyone.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A_Camera For This Useful Post:

This is what I have been working on the last two weeks, it's a huge power supply, providing 50V 82A (4kW) to supply DC power which is enough for all my DC driven machines if I'd want to connect everything to the same. It is based on four HP server PSUs, each giving 12.4V 82A, and those are all connected in series. Have a look at the details if you are interested. The primary reason why I made it this big and powerful was the fact that I have more than enough server PSUs to make it. The second reason was that I needed something more powerful for my lathe. Then I realized that I could connect my CNC to this one as well. So now I have connections for both my CNC and the lathe, and also for a desk motor which will be made for my lathe to be placed on.

Nice job you've made of that!

BTW, if you connect PSUs in series, it's good idea to fit a reverse polarity protection diode across the output (not in series), to avoid damage if you accidentally short circuit the combined output. Otherwise there is a good chance you can damage one (or more) of them by forcing it into reverse voltage. Also the wiring to the shunt looks a little thin for 50A, although I'm guessing you won't be using the full current for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    Nice job you've made of that!
    Thank you.

BTW, if you connect PSUs in series, it's good idea to fit a reverse polarity protection diode across the output (not in series), to avoid damage if you accidentally short circuit the combined output. Otherwise there is a good chance you can damage one (or more) of them by forcing it into reverse voltage.
    It's a good idea. I will consider this, or some other solution, but I believe actually that these server PSUs have internal protection against all kinds of errors. These come from servers with dual PSUs connected in parallel, where if one PSU breaks down for any reason, the other will continue powering the server without interruption. So I trust these have all the protection needed, but of course, one or two or three extra safety feature is not a bad idea. That's why I have the overheat shutdown function also, even if I expect the PSUs will shut down on their own also. In fact, I know they will, since where we have used these at my work, there have been several PSU failures and not a single fire or any other damage. The servers been replaced by more modern ones, so I removed a few PSUs and reuse those before scrapping the servers.

Also the wiring to the shunt looks a little thin for 50A, although I'm guessing you won't be using the full current for a while.
    The wires are 2.5mm˛ so it will be a while before those become a problem, but I will keep an eye on them when the current more permanently exceeds 15-20A. I think up to that I am definitely safe with those, and to be honest, I don't think I will ever use it above 20A, which is 1kW on the 50V side.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information