. .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    It's looking very smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Soyb View Post
    (no idea why the pictures are upside down, cannot seem to sort it out)
    That's funny, they're the right way up down here in Tasmania
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Lives in Leominster, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 27-12-2023 Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 38. Received thanks 5 times, giving thanks to others 2 times.
    Finally worked out how to get the photos up the right way! the website doesn't read the photo orientation meta data so I have to open them in good old fashion paint in windows 10, rotate to the correct way and then save and upload, sorry to the antipodean forum members but they should be up the right way from now on!

Lives in Leominster, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 27-12-2023 Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 38. Received thanks 5 times, giving thanks to others 2 times.
    Latest up date, just finished the electronics, tested limit switches, working on feed rates.Will have it the right way up tomorrow.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2363.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	498.4 KB 
ID:	30325

Finished (albeit a bit of fettling). Waiting for a optilaser to clear cutoms, need to re cut the rear panel for power connectors, need to decide if I am going to use the AXBB-E to power spindle, need to to replace 1 proximity sensor on the Y axis after a issue homing with two sensors. I have now set it up to use use the same sensor to home the Y axis and slave C axis and manually square the Y axis. I have closed loop steppers so there should not be an issue with alignment. I have added the USCB so I can add a 4th axis if required.

I think the machine has cost approximately £2000, and for that I have a CNC machine that is capable of cutting all the materials I use with an accuracy / reliability far greater than my Stepcraft. Compared to most machines on this forum it is in toy category but it is ideal for what I want it to do, I can use a laser attachment, vinyl cutter etc.

Thanks to the forum for all the help, now to actually start doing some cutting!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	350.4 KB 
ID:	30330Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	30331Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	235.9 KB 
ID:	30332Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	30333

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Soyb For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    It looks like a nice clean machine, well done.

If you can I would put a WC spindle with vfd on it.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

I am making similar machine 610x1220mm working area (1/4 of full size board, but with wide gantry so half size board can be supported by bed.
    I like your design - got very similar on 30x60 IR profiles from KJN
    Wonder if your side gates gives enough stiffness/rigidity?

Hi Tom, I was using 10mm plate for side plates but replaced them with 15mm. What size spindle are you thinking of using? My machine was designed for making RC planes so I only cut wood, and thin aluminium. I use a 1kw AMB (Kress) spindle. This adequate for my needs. I have been using the machine in a small workshop and haven't had any issues with it, accuracy is about 0.01 mm.

If you are going to use a bigger spindle then you might want to redesign the side plates by doubling them up. I only had a Stepcraft D800 to make parts for my machine so I was limited to what I could cut and accuracy.

Have you thought of using

https://vallder.com/product/cnc-x-ax...rofile-200x96/

I used C-Beam but only one rail, if you are going for a beefier machine then you could add another rail and 2 x 10 mm side plate

I hope this helps

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

Thanks for reply.
    Spindle 1.5kW or 2.2Kw depends on what profiles I use mainly 30x60 or 40x80 both IR.
    Normally I would weld the frame, but time is factor here so will use extruded aluminium IR as quick and cost effective solution.
    IMO Vallder profile is ok for 6040 size machine and light Kress.
    I like your workmanship, attention for details. Please share your rc models job.
    I do make mold for sailplane avionic panels.

Cheers
    Tom

Hi Tom,

My design ethos was to build a desktop machine with reasonable accuracy, it’s not a production machine but has been used regularly. It is a toy compare to many machines in this forum but it fits my criteria and works well. For a more robust machine I would add extra rails to the Y axis, and re design the X axis so the rails are forward facing and use stronger extrusion, probably a larger C channel. A more robust machine = heavier components = stronger frame = heavier machine etc etc, I had to decide at what point in the design process I had achieved my goals and stop developing / adding complexity. I only had to buy 2 machined parts that I was unable to make, but with a bit of redesign I could remove them to use just flat plate. 2 time around I would make improvesment but still end up with a very similar machine in size / capabilities. Sound like your machine will be similar but a little more robust.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information