. .

Thread: Sound proofing

I have a problem, I'm running my machine in a log cabin and if I need to use a longer tool (6mm diameter @ 45mm stick out) for deeper cuts I get quite a bit cutting noise, I'm worried my neighbours might complain so I'm wondering what you all use for sound proofing or any ideas to reduce the tool resonance?

Charlie

Sent from my M2003J15SC using Tapatalk

I moved to northern Tasmania where I can afford to live in a house in the middle of 2 acres of land with no other dwellings within about 100 metres. Hopefully someone else can come up with a more helpful suggestion!

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    I moved to northern Tasmania where I can afford to live in a house in the middle of 2 acres of land with no other dwellings within about 100 metres. Hopefully someone else can come up with a more helpful suggestion!

Kit
    Hmmm seems a little extreme

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieRam View Post
    Hmmm seems a little extreme

You might be right but it was a genuine consideration when choosing a house to buy. Being on a sloped plot with no hope of further subdivision, it cost no more than a similar size house at the end of a cul-de-sac on a new housing estate, which we did seriously consider. No risk of having to listen to 5 lot's of next-door's wailing kids either! Quite a long way from where you are now though.

I did see a video which tested various sound damping methods for a home recording studio and found that old towels, mounted several layers thick in wooden frames, were more effective than expensive 'acoustic' foam. I'm not sure a towel-lined log cabin is very practical but it shows that expensive, sold-for-purpose stuff isn't necessarily the right answer.

I've just done a you tube search on sound proofing with towels. There quite a few of them, all relating to deadening the echo for sound recording but it may help give you some ideas to try. This is the original one I watched which includes some reasonably scientific testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pABvTWSxOes

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

OK, so there's 2 ways of "sound proofing": either build a box around your machine, or soundproof your building - which do you think would be more feasible? A pic of the construction your building would help BTW.

Random thoughts (though based on my experience with a 3D printer, wooden cabinet that it sat on, and the transmission into a wooden floor) - how much energy is transferred into the cabin?, Is there a case for some form of solid rubber isolation platform? (in my example, a 4-inch thick high-density foam pad to stop the incessant noise from the wife). Just another thought.

Also, from Voicecoil's perspective - consider whether soundproof the machine aids your own well being as well - I have, in the past, walked out of my shed to get some respite from cutting noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Random thoughts (though based on my experience with a 3D printer, wooden cabinet that it sat on, and the transmission into a wooden floor) - how much energy is transferred into the cabin?, Is there a case for some form of solid rubber isolation platform? (in my example, a 4-inch thick high-density foam pad to stop the incessant noise from the wife). Just another thought.

Also, from Voicecoil's perspective - consider whether soundproof the machine aids your own well being as well - I have, in the past, walked out of my shed to get some respite from cutting noise.
    Best not to comment on 'the incessant noise from wife'.
    One thing to design in if you enclose the machine is cooling air flow. A machine in a closed box will get mighty hot without adequate ventilation.

Kit

This is a very long subject that is a topic in itself.

There are different techniques for different frequencies, bass traps need big holes to absorb the long waves, higher frequencies need different solutions.
    My brother has a tape measure with frequencies or wavelengths on it for quickly sorting out positions of speakers and sound deadening etc.
    What they do nowadays is "Ping" the room by emmiting a test sequence and recording it with a special microphone, then they can do the required treatment. Bit extreme for a workshop though !

The simplest option for reducing higher frequencies like your machine is producing is something like a simple frame with an open weaved cloth stretched accross then a layer of rockwool behind it. This works and is pretty cheap. Position them around the router and it will reduce the noise a lot.

I was surprised at the sound reduction in my workshop when I built the walls up with two layers of osb and 100mm rockwool inside it.
    As stated above rubber isolation feet will help as well.

Ollie

Lives in Leeds, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-12-2022 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 116. Received thanks 16 times, giving thanks to others 21 times.
    Not sure how you have your machine currently setup, if you could post a picture it paints a thousand words. Quite a lot of noise comes from vibration, so for instance hollow framework such as steel tubing/box section, vibrations into the floor if its wooden. So you may want to use a material called sorbothane,I use it quite a lot for 3d printers as the resonance carries without them as the feet. For instant noise reduction consider an enclosure, my machine is very noisy with the doors open for its enclosure and as soon as you close them its a huge reduction and my enclosure is a simple wooden box with acrylic windows in a wooden frame. If you do really want a sound proof setup an enclosure within an enclosure would realistically be the only option.

Cheers guys, I've been away for a few days but there's lots of food for thought here, my shed is a 'log cabin' with 45mm thick walls but only 19mm floor and roof boards, the whole structure sits on concrete strip foundations so I think some of the sound/resonance may come through the floor but the doors are also very thin.
    The machine itself is steel and aluminium. Link to build here
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

I plan on moving within the next year or two so don't want to alter the shed too much

I'm thinking that the best solution will be rubber isolating feet and an enclosure for the machine, I was also wondering whether to apply sound deadening material to the underside of the aluminium bed too?

Thread Information