. .

Thread: Newbie Novice

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks again Jazzcnc

I had thought of upgrading it and using C frame and also thicker rails (15mm) and also thicker ball screws (8mm)

What I am struggling to come to grips with, is that there is a huge amount of hobby CNC guys out there that have purchased these 2 to 3K machines that appear to be 'not up to the task'

All these open builds appear to be built on the same or similar profiles.................

Hi Kitwan, I am struggling with the software to be honest and just cannot decide which option i should choose. I laid out half a sheet of 22mm MR Medite MDF last night as i want this to be under a workstation. Although i have a big workshop, space is still a premium and i think the largest machine i can get away with is 800 x 800. I dont know what that means in terms of actual cutting area. But an 800x800 machine takes up more space than that once you factor in the motors etc. I have allowed 100mm all the way around the machine, is that reasonable or not?

Quote Originally Posted by WoodKnot View Post
    Thanks again Jazzcnc

I had thought of upgrading it and using C frame and also thicker rails (15mm) and also thicker ball screws (8mm)
    There you go you see you are already upgrading and haven't even built it.! . . . Plus you would be upgrading it with components that are not ideal.
    This is why we tell people to do the research and check out build threads so they can see the differences and why we fit and recommend the things we do.!

What I am struggling to come to grips with, is that there is a huge amount of hobby CNC guys out there that have purchased these 2 to 3K machines that appear to be 'not up to the task'

All these open builds appear to be built on the same or similar profiles.................
    Well often it's because they don't know any better, often it's the first machine they have experienced and indeed it does cut, but that doesn't mean it's cutting correctly or efficiently.
    Only when they get a better-built machine do they realise just how poorly it was cutting and what can be achieved with a stronger machine. I see this all the time with customers who have started with work-bees or open build type machines, their jaws drop when they see a 12mm cutter cut through 18mm MDF in one pass. Only after they have had one for a few weeks do they realise just how compromising and limiting the machine was to them.

We see this happen on the forum when people have built machines from plans and the CNC Bug truly bites them, they upgrade and waste money only to eventually realise "you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still pork at the end of the day" only when they start to listen and do the research and build a better machine do they understand how bad the old one was.!

Also, very few want to admit they have bought a lemon because they want to sell them on. Ask anyone who has bought one and moved onto a properly built machine and you will get the true answer.

Now I realise when I say these things people will think I'm just saying these things to sell machines or steer people in my direction and indeed it does at times stop me posting some things I could, but this honestly isn't the case.

I say what I say so people go into buying these things with their eyes wide open and fully aware of what they are buying because the last thing I want is new CNC users being turned off CNC because they have bought inferior machines thinking they are capable of much more than they truly are only to be frustrated and give up.
    Again I see this happen all too often and ALL my advice is based on real-world experience with helping people and not just customers, people on various forums who have sought me out.

However, at the end of the day, it's down to the individual to whether they believe or trust what I'm saying. Sooner or later they find out one way or the other.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Hi Kitwan, I am struggling with the software to be honest and just cannot decide which option i should choose. I laid out half a sheet of 22mm MR Medite MDF last night as i want this to be under a workstation. Although i have a big workshop, space is still a premium and i think the largest machine i can get away with is 800 x 800. I dont know what that means in terms of actual cutting area. But an 800x800 machine takes up more space than that once you factor in the motors etc. I have allowed 100mm all the way around the machine, is that reasonable or not?
    I wrote a long load of blather to try and help but I've just been reading back over it and noticed you said you do have a big workshop. I've deleted it all and instead would seriously suggest you have a good look at whether there are other less serious compromises you could make elsewhere and NOT try to build a CNC router that fits under a work station. Your spine will not thank you for either lifting the machine out onto a bench to use or for grovelling about on the floor to use it in situ (I've spent part of today pushing a wheel-chair, I mean that last comment seriously). Put castors under your bandsaw and improve the shelving for more floor-efficient storage instead of going down what could prove to be an over-expensive and ultimately disappointing and painful path with your router.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Hi Kitwin, thank you very much for your comment, which i do take seriously!

However, my plan is to build a new workstation and have the cnc under the top, The top will be about 95cm high, the same height as all my other benches. My next job was to be to figure out the total height of the cnc machine. Its a b it like chicken and egg this, i just always seem to be at the embryonic stage and not knowing exactly what I am looking at!

Wow, that's a lot in a single pass. I probably would not do that with my large 1/2 inch DeWalt or Makita routers to be fair. I want something in between. I could get a top of the range Range Rover, but a reasonable Land Rover would get the job done just as well. I am sure your machines are very impressive, but what is middle of the road for you? Or do they always have to be the best specification?

I could buy Festool, but love Dewalt and Makita products - if it does the job and works well, that's good enough for me.

I want to make a few cute signs, some Christmas stuff, i am not looking for something that will 'make a living'

Hi all - Software -

Been having a play with Easel and it seems very intuitive, takes a lot of the painful calculations out of the equation and very easy to use. Anyone using it and without paying gazillions more, is there anything better in that price range? Thanks

Hello all again - OK, seen another nice build - Piranha based on C beam - looks best build so far based on what I am looking for. So, thought I would order all their plates as a kit and save myself a lot of hassle, until i worked out the price - £460.00 just for the plates - Jeez - i think that is really expensive!

Also motors and spindle - Nema 23 stepper motors, what are the angles all about? - is nothing straight forward?

Sprindle, does it need to be water cooled, i thought people just used a router like Makita or Dewalt.

Anyone used the Openbuilds Blackbox for the controller etc?

Sorry, i was trying to keep it simple, but the more you read, the more complex it becomes!!

Has anyone got a build using C Beam, with a reasonably priced Plate kit that i can purchase please.?

Its like you need a CNC to make CNC - self defeating observation.

Its like you need a CNC to make CNC - self defeating observation.
    This statement pretty much hits the nail on the head

Wow, that's a lot in a single pass. I probably would not do that with my large 1/2 inch DeWalt or Makita routers to be fair. I want something in between. I could get a top of the range Range Rover, but a reasonable Land Rover would get the job done just as well. I am sure your machines are very impressive, but what is middle of the road for you? Or do they always have to be the best specification?

I could buy Festool, but love Dewalt and Makita products - if it does the job and works well, that's good enough for me.

I want to make a few cute signs, some Christmas stuff, i am not looking for something that will 'make a living'
    To be fair while the machines are very capable of doing this, in reality, you wouldn't really cut that aggressively to be fair, but the point of the comment wasn't for bragging rights to how good my machines are it was to make the point that a properly built machine is much more capable.

I understand what you think your needs are at this moment in time are simple, but experience has shown me and many others on here will probably agree that when the CNC bug bites you will quickly want to do more advanced projects and it's at this point you start to realize the weaknesses of these low-end kits and electronics/software. Nothing more frustrating than wrecking materials and tools along with wasting many hours because the machine just can't handle the job.

Now obviously, can see I'm wasting my time trying to steer you in the right direction and away from these weaker machines and kits, you also seem to be ignoring the advice to do research to learn what does what and why it's required. So all that's left to be said is good luck.!!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information