. .

Thread: Newbie Novice

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wow, that's a lot in a single pass. I probably would not do that with my large 1/2 inch DeWalt or Makita routers to be fair. I want something in between. I could get a top of the range Range Rover, but a reasonable Land Rover would get the job done just as well. I am sure your machines are very impressive, but what is middle of the road for you? Or do they always have to be the best specification?

I could buy Festool, but love Dewalt and Makita products - if it does the job and works well, that's good enough for me.

I want to make a few cute signs, some Christmas stuff, i am not looking for something that will 'make a living'

Good afternoon all -

I know its fast, but really like the Indybuild and have decided that as i will not be milling anything other than MDF, PLY and maybe some light weight aluminium, i think it should do me fine. I have done some quick calculations and it looks like i can build a far superior machine than the workbee for less money! I have already purchased his plans for just $12 and his instructions, parts list videos are all very good. I know a few engineers that can cnc some plates up for me - going for 8mm thick plate. In terms of software, i have yet to make up my mind and may look at the electronics of others, but for the machine itself, i think that will do me just fine.

There's a wide choice of software available for designing the components you want to make and one of the criteria to consider is what type of pieces you want to make. If you are thinking of more 'engineering' shapes that are mostly cutting out holes or pockets at fixed depths then I would suggest you look at CamBam. You can download a free trial and I've used it for years and been very happy with it. It isn't expensive and the license is pay once, upgrades for life. There's a very good support forum and many excellent plug-ins available free which significantly extend what it can do. The learning curve is not too steep.

For more arty stuff, carving bass-relief designs in particular, Vectric is the go-to product for most people. I've just got the basic Desktop version to try out. This is more expensive, especially if you want to do your own 3D designs but comes in three flavours (Desktop, Pro and Aspire) so you can work your way up the cost tree if you want to start small (no larger than 600 x 600mm) and see if you like it. There is no cost penalty for this as the upgrade price is simply the difference in the basic cost of each package. Again there are free trail downloads which, though very restricted, let you try before you buy.

Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists, extremely capable, though the limitations for non-paying users have become more restrictive recently, and it has, for me, proved difficult to learn how to make it do what I want. I've tried it and given up a couple of times and stuck to CamBam instead. Other users have much more success with it.

You can pay more for software than for the machine if you want to buy the full professional capabilities but there are plenty of us making useful stuff without having spent that much.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Hi Kitwan, I am struggling with the software to be honest and just cannot decide which option i should choose. I laid out half a sheet of 22mm MR Medite MDF last night as i want this to be under a workstation. Although i have a big workshop, space is still a premium and i think the largest machine i can get away with is 800 x 800. I dont know what that means in terms of actual cutting area. But an 800x800 machine takes up more space than that once you factor in the motors etc. I have allowed 100mm all the way around the machine, is that reasonable or not?

Quote Originally Posted by WoodKnot View Post
    Hi Kitwan, I am struggling with the software to be honest and just cannot decide which option i should choose. I laid out half a sheet of 22mm MR Medite MDF last night as i want this to be under a workstation. Although i have a big workshop, space is still a premium and i think the largest machine i can get away with is 800 x 800. I dont know what that means in terms of actual cutting area. But an 800x800 machine takes up more space than that once you factor in the motors etc. I have allowed 100mm all the way around the machine, is that reasonable or not?
    I wrote a long load of blather to try and help but I've just been reading back over it and noticed you said you do have a big workshop. I've deleted it all and instead would seriously suggest you have a good look at whether there are other less serious compromises you could make elsewhere and NOT try to build a CNC router that fits under a work station. Your spine will not thank you for either lifting the machine out onto a bench to use or for grovelling about on the floor to use it in situ (I've spent part of today pushing a wheel-chair, I mean that last comment seriously). Put castors under your bandsaw and improve the shelving for more floor-efficient storage instead of going down what could prove to be an over-expensive and ultimately disappointing and painful path with your router.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Hi all - Software -

Been having a play with Easel and it seems very intuitive, takes a lot of the painful calculations out of the equation and very easy to use. Anyone using it and without paying gazillions more, is there anything better in that price range? Thanks

Hi Kitwin, thank you very much for your comment, which i do take seriously!

However, my plan is to build a new workstation and have the cnc under the top, The top will be about 95cm high, the same height as all my other benches. My next job was to be to figure out the total height of the cnc machine. Its a b it like chicken and egg this, i just always seem to be at the embryonic stage and not knowing exactly what I am looking at!

Hello all again - OK, seen another nice build - Piranha based on C beam - looks best build so far based on what I am looking for. So, thought I would order all their plates as a kit and save myself a lot of hassle, until i worked out the price - £460.00 just for the plates - Jeez - i think that is really expensive!

Also motors and spindle - Nema 23 stepper motors, what are the angles all about? - is nothing straight forward?

Sprindle, does it need to be water cooled, i thought people just used a router like Makita or Dewalt.

Anyone used the Openbuilds Blackbox for the controller etc?

Sorry, i was trying to keep it simple, but the more you read, the more complex it becomes!!

Has anyone got a build using C Beam, with a reasonably priced Plate kit that i can purchase please.?

Its like you need a CNC to make CNC - self defeating observation.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodKnot View Post

Its like you need a CNC to make CNC - self defeating observation.
    This statement pretty much hits the nail on the head

I haven't ploughed through all of this thread,so I might have missed some stuff.You can use a normal router to spin the cutters,but be aware that it needs a bit of care.The plates for the support can be almost anything that is stiff enough and if it isn't initially stiff enough you can always bolt a piece of steel angle to it.Far too many first timers seem to want a copy of a machine they have seen promoted by the originator as a wonderful thing,which it may be compared to marking out a sheet with a pencil and cutting it out with a jigsaw.What it never seems to be is remotely comparable with an entry level professional machine.

How about posting a CAD model or even a decent sketch of your design for a critique?There are enough experienced eyes here to spot any defect if you are mature enough to accept the comments and not inclined to fly off into the territory of "yes but....." and plough on with the original and it's shortcomings.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information