. .

Thread: Newbie Novice

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Now obviously, can see I'm wasting my time trying to steer you in the right direction and away from these weaker machines and kits, you also seem to be ignoring the advice to do research to learn what does what and why it's required. So all that's left to be said is good luck.!![/QUOTE]

Thank you Jazzcnc - your the engineer - I am not even an apprentice

However, i have neither the funds nor the time to spend on a top machine and I am having to sell off some older woodworking equipment to fund my build.

I cut a 22mm MR MDF sheet last night to 1000 x 1000, allowing 100mm around perimeter of the base (100mm base, top and either side) with an 800x800 centre box area for the machine. That's not a big machine at all from what i have seen.

Where do i get decent plates from? Unless i make them from 18mm birch ply?
    Do i get my C Beam from Oozenest?
    Best place to get the motors and Nema 23's any good?
    Ball screws & rails, best place to buy?

I haven't ploughed through all of this thread,so I might have missed some stuff.You can use a normal router to spin the cutters,but be aware that it needs a bit of care.The plates for the support can be almost anything that is stiff enough and if it isn't initially stiff enough you can always bolt a piece of steel angle to it.Far too many first timers seem to want a copy of a machine they have seen promoted by the originator as a wonderful thing,which it may be compared to marking out a sheet with a pencil and cutting it out with a jigsaw.What it never seems to be is remotely comparable with an entry level professional machine.

How about posting a CAD model or even a decent sketch of your design for a critique?There are enough experienced eyes here to spot any defect if you are mature enough to accept the comments and not inclined to fly off into the territory of "yes but....." and plough on with the original and it's shortcomings.

Thanks routerdriver -

That's effectively what i have decided to do. Whilst i fully appreciate what is being said here - the machines here are serious builds, being engineered on big box section, huge completed weights for relatively small machines. I do have a good understanding of engineering, but think the machines on here are way, way over spec for my needs. Whilst many on here would baulk at the open builds site, I do feel that that site is better suited to my aspirations and requirements.

I am not going to do a 'yes, but....'

Decision made!

I saw the reference to Easel,never used it myself and not very likely to.I do however use Freecad and the associated Path workbench,which has a post processor for LinuxCNC.Which means that the software costs precisely nothing.Perhaps not the most intuitive software around,but if you dig around on youtube there are some useful videos to be seen.

Thanks routerdriver - i have had a good look, however, many of them need quite a bit of knowledge about the entire process and was looking for something that would enable me to create, hit the 'carve' button and off we go!!

Quote Originally Posted by WoodKnot View Post
    Thanks routerdriver - i have had a good look, however, many of them need quite a bit of knowledge about the entire process and was looking for something that would enable me to create, hit the 'carve' button and off we go!!
    You may be in for a shock then.Any program will require an amount of input to function.They may be located in all sorts of places,but they all need similar information regarding cutter geometry and feed speeds.The most basic letter carving program I have used is F-engrave and you need to supply tool geometry and feed rates.

You may be in for a shock then.Any program will require an amount of input to function.They may be located in all sorts of places,but they all need similar information regarding cutter geometry and feed speeds.The most basic letter carving program I have used is F-engrave and you need to supply tool geometry and feed rates.

Thanks routerdriver, ironically, you put in your cutter dimensions, intended depth of cut, router type etc and it works out all the feed rate etc. It even shows you if use different sizes of cutters what it will miss out on the final carve because the bit is too big etc

Thanks routerdriver, ironically, you put in your cutter dimensions, intended depth of cut, router type etc and it works out all the feed rate etc. It even shows you if use different sizes of cutters what it will miss out on the final carve because the bit is too big etc
    Do you honestly think it's that easy.? IF you do then you are in cuckoo land.

No software and I mean NO software, not even software costing £10k+ can work out the correct feed rates and spindle speeds as there are far too many variables involved.

The best they can do is offer speeds and feeds based on tool parameters just like a speed and feeds calculator does, these are notoriously way off most of the time because they are based on industrial machines and spindles.
    Anyone who has used one will tell you at best they are a guide which you use and tweak based on your own machine's strengths and weaknesses. At worst they are miles off and you'll just snap cutters like carrots if you follow their suggestions.

Speeds n feeds is a whole learning curve in its self and each machine, cutter, and material combination will change the settings. This is why what works for one person often doesn't work for others as there are just too many variables that come into play.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

I will let you know how i get on :-)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information