. .

Thread: Newbie Novice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodKnot View Post
    Hi Jazzcnc, thank you for your advice. I am not going to spend hundreds on cad and teach myself how to use it. Whilst I really do fully appreciate really well engineered machines, is there a point where you can over engineer something? I have seen a build that I do like, it's called indy build. I have been on open builds as well and looking at parts suppliers etc. I am starting to get my head around some of it, but the most basic element is the extrusion. Can someone at least point me in the right direction of whose is the best.

There are a lot of machines out there that do have good reviews, I agree that I can save money self building and taking ideas, upgrades etc from others builds

I am still happy with the size I want, its just who's is the best build to follow.?

What do you think of the indy build, it looks substantial without going over the top.

It would be a good starting point, having your experience to assess it.

Thanks
    I think you need to find some suitable CAD/CAM software you can use and are happy with BEFORE you buy anything else.
    I think your jaw might drop at the cost of some of it.
    I'll be honest and say I only started messing with this cnc stuff because I was lucky (or unlucky, because as a hobby it's a bottomless £ pit). Lucky to have been gifted some decent software.
    I would never have touched a machine otherwise.

Thanks Daz - yes, £1500 upwards for some of them and a whole new learning curve as well. There is a lot to learn, not just the machine build, the motors, electrics, software, speeds, tooling, but there is a lot more taking to it. With the help on here and other similar sites, there is a staggering amount of knowledge, its just also atkes huge amount of time sifting through it all. Love Youtube and have used it for years as a resource. What software are you using by the way? is it intuitive? Is it worth the money?

Thread Information