Quote Originally Posted by WoodKnot View Post
Yes, thanks Doddy, being a sawdust eater i do have a bandsaw, lots of saws, too many saws!

I was going to use 10mm plate, which is thicker than most spec for my type of build.

Is 5083 ok or do i need a 6000 grade?

Thanks

WoodKnot
Small circular saw, table saw, bench saw, jigsaw, band saw... basically, all can cut aluminium with the right blade. I use Bosch Expert Aluminium blades for all my circular saws. Expensive, but cuts like butter even through 25mm thick plates. My smallest saw is a tiny Proxxon table saw using 50mm blades, and even that can cut 10mm plates, but of course, I have saw blades for the material. According to the manufacturer, it can only cut 3mm but of course, that's an underestimation and if you are careful, waxing the blade then you can cut thicker. OK, I mainly use that for PCB, which it is perfect for, but it's good to use it on other material also. Even for the jigsaw, if you want good results then it's best to buy special blades designed for soft metal cutting. I don't have any band saw, but I am sure even those have blades for metal, not just wood. Never the less, I have not seen a saw which can't cut aluminium. I am always waxing (using wax candle left over studs) every blade before cutting, it creates most of the time very nice finish and makes cutting easy and smooth.