. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Well, that is a very discouraging read.

Yes, I bought it new from David Ward in Peterlee. It is less than 2 weeks old and he's not returning my calls anymore (he probably found this thread).
    I've tried attaching a few pics of the machine but I cant attach more than one for some reason.

His advert on Ebay says I can return within 2 weeks but the problem is that I didn't pay him through ebay - it was done privately.

The power supply is a Meishiie S-1200 -60
    Output 60V and 20A.
    Drive controllers are all DM860A

Frame seems very sturdy. There is no play or axial movement between rails and ball screw blocks.

What do you think is the best way forward from here?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210621_082911.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	30099
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210621_082916.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	30100  

Yes the machine maintains the correct position. If I ask it to move 25mm it moves exactly that. Returning to home is accurate as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Yes, it uses the UC100 controller.
    Jogging the machine across x and Y and there is no sound. Ive attached my settings from Mach3 that I am using. But these are different to what is run in the Gcode. In that, I am using 1800mm/min.

X axis:
    Steps per: 125
    Velocity mm/min: 3600
    Acceleration: 500
    G's: 0.050
    Step pulse: 3
    Dir pulse: 3

y axis:
    Velocity mm/min: 3700

Z axis:
    Velocity mm/min: 1000
    G's: 0.101

A axis:
    Velocity mm/min: 3600
    Last edited by grantx; 21-06-2021 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grantx View Post
    Well, that is a very discouraging read.

Yes, I bought it new from David Ward in Peterlee. It is less than 2 weeks old and he's not returning my calls anymore (he probably found this thread).
    Like I said I'm very sorry to have to say it and it's wrong that should need to. Also, I don't think he's not answering because of reading this thread, I've had others contact me privately and he doesn't answer their calls either.!

His advert on Ebay says I can return within 2 weeks but the problem is that I didn't pay him through ebay - it was done privately.
    If you got a receipt then shouldn't matter how you paid him. I also believe you have 30days under your statutory rights to return the machine, but I'm no expert so check it out.

What do you think is the best way forward from here?
    If it was me then I'd be returning it without a doubt but only you can make that decision.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Anything bought online can be returned in 2 weeks. So be quick with a return claim. Cheers Andrew

7. The Following User Says Thank You to the great waldo For This Useful Post:

Ok well, straight away I can see something is odd because 125 Steps per setting doesn't add up.? The DM860A doesn't offer a micro-step setting that matches this setting when used with a 5mm pitch ball screw driven direct from the motor like what you have. 5 * 125=625 and the nearest micro step setting in the manual I'm looking at is 640.

This is even more confusing if you are 100% sure that it moves the exact amount because it shouldn't unless the drives are using a different setting to what the manual I'm reading says or the ball screw pitch isn't 5mm.?
    Both these are easily checked, the drives will show the dip switch settings on a sticker and you should be able to match the dip switch positions on the drives. To find the screw pitch then just jog or manually turn the screw one revolution and measure how far it moved.

However, If I'm correct and the pitch is 5mm and you are correct that it's accurately moving the distance told then at best the micro-steps setting must be 625 and this could be the problem.?
    These drives I think are the cheap nasty analog version and they will at best only have basic resonance handling built into them, Analog drives are notoriously bad at handling resonance and to be honest, should be gone the way of the dodo by now.!

You will find if you change the micro stepping on the drives to 1600 that the motors will run a lot smoother, you will also need to change the Steps per in the motor tuning to match.
    This is done by dividing the Micro steps by the ball screw pitch ie: 1600/5=320.

Doing this will change how the motor operates and hopefully will shift the resonance into a range the drives can deal with. You will instantly hear the difference.
    Analog drives are old technology and it was common to have to play with micro-steps to try and find a sweet spot, esp if used with cheap motors which these probably will be.?

All this said though your problem could still be a mixture of mechanical and low-quality electrical that is poorly set up so if you are thinking to send it back then I wouldn't touch it.
    Also, if it does run smoother you still have a machine that isn't fast enough to cut at the correct feeds n speeds for most materials and while you think the frame is sturdy I can tell you it isn't really and the way it's constructed means it cannot be accurate which you will come to realise in time as you try to do more intricate work or complex work.

So again my strong advice is to try to return it because you'll will still have a lemon if you get it running smoother.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Here are a few more pictures.
    5mm pitch lead screw
    34 Nema
    Drivers showing jumper positions (Off - On - On -Off)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210621_205233.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	30101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210621_205320.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	30102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210621_205420.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	30103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210621_205233.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	30101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210621_205320.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	30102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210621_205420.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	30103

Here are a few more pictures.
    5mm pitch lead screw
    Measuring like that can be misleading because the screw could be a twin start so that would be 2 x 5mm starts making it a 10mm pitch. This is why I said rotate and measure the distance it moved as that is the more accurate method.

Drivers showing jumper positions (Off - On - On -Off)
    Ok with those settings using the manual I'm looking at the micro-steps are set to 2000. This doesn't ring true to the mach3 steps per setting because it should be 400 if 5mm pitch and 200 if 10mm pitch. You have mach3 set at 125 Steps per which means you can not possibly be moving the correct distance unless the screw pitch is different to 5 or 10mm which I very much doubt.
    The motors are 1.8degree so 200 steps per 360degree's and clearly direct drive so there are no ratios applied so that only leaves the screw pitch which can affect the movement and I'd be very very surprised if it's anything but 5mm or 10mm. This means it can't possibly be moving the correct distance unless the dip switch settings are wrong.

You are right. I dont know what I measured before....
    1 revolution gives 15mm travel on the Y axis (I havent measure the others)

When I tell it to move 100mm (G0 y100) it moves 150mm.

EDIT: Ok I remember how I measured it before. Using the auto-calibrate in Mach3 I get it to move 100 on the y-axis and it moves exactly that. It tells me the steps are 125, So that must be correct.

I dont know what that G0 y100 command is doing ...
    Last edited by grantx; 22-06-2021 at 08:59 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information