Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
I am not sure what you mean by "The most common config is the opposite of yours"... My system works just like are describing. Perhaps you misunderstood what I wrote. Disable = no holding torque Enable = Holding torque the way I see it. The signal can be active low or active high, depending on some other things, but that's a different thing.

You were saying earlier: "The enable won't drop the holding torque, it will only disable the drive outputs so they don't spin, they will still be locked"

The Enable signal controls the holding torque. If the Enable changes state (goes from low to high or high to low) it will enable or disable the driver which will apply or drop the holding torque. On most drivers, if the Enable is not connected (floating) the holding torque is applied and the driver is enabled. The motor is locked only when there is a holding torque (driver enabled). If the driver is disabled and there is no holding torque, the motor can't spin, not even if you apply step pulses. When the driver is enabled the motor is on holding torque but starts spinning as soon as step pulses are applied.
This is why I suggested to check he didn't have settings or the wiring backwards - high/low (if actually wired in that is).
Enabling during pc booting, disabling when it comes to life.