. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Good news. Holding my thumb for you...
    I assume that is the Swedish equivalent of the English 'crossing my fingers' for luck. Thank you.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Unfortunately I had the same problem show up again yesterday. However, a look at the bug reports on the cncdrive forum included someone who got exactly the same shutdown problems when he unplugged his Xbox controller USB plug. I tried the same trick with my game controller and got all the same symptoms including the ntdll.dll report on Event Viewer. I definitely owe Andy tea and HobNobs next time he's in Tasmania for showing me that. Interestingly I can plug the controller into a different USB socket on the other side of the laptop and UCCNC doesn't have any problems if I take the plug in and out repeatedly. The Device Manager does list more than one USB port controller in the machine which is why I thought this trick was worth testing.

I'm assuming the problem is with the one USB port dropping out for some reason and have my fingers crossed for no more sudden closures from here on.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitwn For This Useful Post:

A brief update for anyone who suffers similar symptoms.
    As I've said before, I'm using a USB Nintendo style game controller as a pendant with the UCCNC built-in Xbox 360 plug-in. UCVCNC is running on a ten year old HP laptop with Windows 10.

Today the machine was sitting idle for several hours with no problems and then had a shutdown while idle again after an hour-long run of cutting. Interestingly I'd had a Notepad document open over the top of UCCNC for about 30 mins or more when it happened. Later, some while after restarting but not touching the machine, I found that whilst everything seemed normal the pendant would not work. Jogging direct from UCCNC was fine. Unlug/replug the pendant made no difference but closing and restarting UCCNC brought the pendant back to life.

I've since disabled "Allow Windows to stop this device to save power" on all the different USB controllers listed on Device manager and have disabled 'Auto suspend" when plugged in on the USB options in the 'Power' settings menu. I'm still thinking it's a USB problem related to this plug-in and controller and will be putting a real CNC Drive pendant on my Christmas list.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Did you try to ask support on the CNC Drive forum?
    I haven't yet. I looked on the forum and found the reference to USB problems that I mentioned above and simply swapping the port I used for the game controller seemed to have fixed the problem until yesterday. The pendant stopping working is a new one though, so it probably is time to report what's been happening.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information