. .
    Lives in herne bay, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21-11-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 13. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Hi does anyone know how to change the post processor from tap file to nc file in Fusion 360. Watched a few youtube videos and it is not clear.

Cheers Tony

The NC file is the file which contains the gcode. I'm fairly sure it can have a few different extensions but contain the same information. So it could be myshape.nc myshape.tap myshape.txt and I'm pretty sure Mach3 will open it and read it as they are all basically text files.

But before changing the extension what for a second opinion (!) as I haven't dabbled at that level for many years.

Possibly you are asking a different question ?
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Lives in herne bay, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21-11-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 13. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Hi thank for the reply, I have been to change the file in Fusion 360 preferences something called External editor.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 6 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I thought .nc was the default output, but then it's probably what is set in the post processors I happen to use.

If the post processor file you're using is set to tap, and everything else is ok, open the post processor.
    Either from within F360 - manufacture -> 'manage' drop down menu -> Post Library, then in the new window right-click on the post, and select Edit, or alternatively find).
    or in the local storage folder - C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Fusion 360 CAM\Posts

You need to change the extension = "nc"; variable (it's near the top).
    Then save the file, and it should be updated next time you post code in F360.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 6 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by f750 View Post
    Hi thank for the reply, I have been to change the file in Fusion 360 preferences something called External editor.
    Post processor editing is done an external editor.
    If you're on windows, I would strongly recommend downloading and installing Notepad++, as it won't screw up text formatting like the default Windows Notepad generally does.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Managed to resolve it - had to edit the file in the following location C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Autodesk Fusion 360\CAM\cache\posts

Thanks for your help

Thread Information