. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Re Damping.

This (Excellent) paper may interest you of you are thinking of building a machine and filling steel tubes with damping material. There are practical examples towards the end. Of note is the thin flexible layer between the concrete and the way it is sectioned within the tube in plastic bags in one case, it is not just poured in.

The machine designed in the paper, a tool and cutter grinder was actually commercially built by Star.

https://my.mech.utah.edu/~bamberg/re...mberg-PhD.html

Youtube "edge precision" to see one working.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2vPng7O5bQ

You can download the paper from MIT
    https://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/88839

Regards
    John

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John McNamara For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Sands ok but only to a point, depends on what you want the machine for.? If you're wanting to cut steel then your probably building the wrong machine with the wrong materials.?
    If it's for cutting wood and light aluminium work then I wouldn't waste your time and mess it makes, just use thicker material with plenty of bracing.
    Just wood/acrylic and aluminium but not sure what I could achieve when it comes to aluminum (20mm would be good)

3d detailed carving is a must and that's where I was thinking sand would be needed?

quick question, is 80x80x5 all around with 100x100x10 for the rails strong enough for a large machine or will i need to go 100x100x5 all around?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reefy86 View Post
    quick question, is 80x80x5 all around with 100x100x10 for the rails strong enough for a large machine or will i need to go 100x100x5 all around?

thanks
    Depends on how large and design, do you have any plans or models to show.?
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

having to start right back from beginning but shouldnt take too long as most of it is still in my head. this design so far is using 80x80x5 and just the support beams for rails is 100x100x10. also thinking of making it half weld half bolt on and have the main rail support bolted onto 10mm plates rather then welded to the legs if this makes sense but then i dont want to over complicate things.

this is mine now

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	30412

this is how i think i should do it

Name:	IMAG0124.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	30413

Well first, the bottom picture is a very old design of mine and isn't actually complete.! It's missing the adjustable height bed which bolts to the sides and adds a little more rigidity, but even then it's not the stiffest design in the world and uses smaller thick-walled tubes. It's also a relatively small machine and was only ever really designed for cutting woods, plastics.

Regards your design then it needs a little work, for instance, you have no supports for the bed base or any bracing between each side. Would add some supports lower down on the sides to support and brace the legs as well so it doesn't change shape when moved around.

Whether you fully weld or not is up to you but what I will tell you is that when you start going large things are not so easy to get flat or surfaces planer to each other so building in adjustment is a good idea.
    To be honest, if you have never built a router before then going large can be a big mistake, esp if you are wanting to machine materials like aluminum to any degree of accuracy.

It's a very common mistake to assume it can't be any more difficult to build a large machine than a smaller one.! . . . This is the mother of all Fu@k up's because when starts to go past 4ft in length things get real funky very quickly.! Have you ever wondered why there are so few build threads showing large machines.? It's not because people haven't tried, many have tried, it's because very few succeed, and most give up well before completion.

Also, doesn't matter how thick your tubes are if the design is crap or it's poorly welded or aligned with out-of-whack surfaces, etc.

My advice is to think long and hard before you go BIG and be sure you know what you are taking on and are doing because it's super easy to get wrong.
    Starting with a smaller machine would be a better idea to get the feel and knowledge for whats required to build a BIG machine, plus it can help you build the Big machine.!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

appreciate the advice Dean if im honest i do have the confidence and i was tempted to start with a 4ft cutting area and use that to make a bigger machine in time but for the work i want to do it still needs to be wide enough to cut 4ft sheets so the only difference if i was to build smaller is just the length. i understand its a different ball game once going past 4-6ft but i would really like to put my head and heart into it and give it a good go. you have warned me though and if i fail its on my own head but im one of those guys that looks back and thinks oh well atleast i gave it a try. like i said im confident in giving it my best shot.

also i never knew solidworks had a rendering feature built in, had a little play earlier and here is my frame so far. done it this way so i dont have to weld the support rails and risk twisting ect and i can always add shims to those plates if needed.

Name:	test.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	734.8 KB 
ID:	30414

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information