. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. It also assumes that the machine shop has a good hand that knows what he is doing, rails go face down on machine(mill/shaper/grinder) operative packs any gaps to the table making sure not to distort the rails then machines the pads, rotate the job pads down (now clamping on pads) on machine base and machine the top and at least one side.
    Was thinking a decent size (thickness) shim so it could be setup in a 4Jaw chuck and machined on a lathe.
    Wouldnt have thought it would be possible to get your alignment dialed in before your putty went off.
    DIY Laser levelling using webcam
    Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Wouldnt have thought it would be possible to get your alignment dialed in before your putty went off.
    Plenty of time because you have done all the initial setup before applying the epoxy putty and then you have a good 30+mins to tweak if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    DIY Laser levelling using webcam
    Why mess about with all that nonsense which can't be verified for accuracy when careful use of a water level will do the same job and it's guaranteed to be accurate because the law of physics doesn't lie.

But to me for between £800-£1000 for the whole frame machined complete with reference edges and tapped holes it's not worth messing about with any of this.!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    But to me for between £800-£1000 for the whole frame machined complete with reference edges and tapped holes it's not worth messing about with any of this.!
    no brainer really, taking the costs of the epoxy with extra just in case i mess up which is highly possible along with the anxiety of not wanting to mess up and hope to god i did a good job so really its just an extra £500 to have it machined and drilled as you say. gantry and motors play a strong part but the frame is like the processor in a computer it wouldn't work without it.

ive just emailed a company called wec group to see if its something they do and how much. do you have any other recommendations?

Dean if you had that service running i would of snapped you up in a heart beat lol but jeez you must be rolling in it to get tempted to get one your self :)

quote came back for £900 so in the middle you mentioned Dean :)

Quote Originally Posted by reefy86 View Post
    Dean if you had that service running i would of snapped you up in a heart beat lol but jeez you must be rolling in it to get tempted to get one your self :)
    "Rolling in it" I wished.. But you'd be surprised how cheap some of these large machines can be bought. The largest cost is moving them and prepping the new site.
    However, my plan isn't to buy one but rather build a bespoke monster just for surfacing.!

quote came back for £900 so in the middle you mentioned Dean :)
    Yep, that's about what I'd expect to pay..

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    "Rolling in it" I wished.. But you'd be surprised how cheap some of these large machines can be bought. The largest cost is moving them and prepping the new site.
    However, my plan isn't to buy one but rather build a bespoke monster just for surfacing.!
    would love to see the process of it if you ever decide to do it :)

i have a couple of questions because im actually just going to get it machined for peace of mind.

1. would it be wise to also have one side of the frame machined flat so when getting the first rail on i can use a dial indicator against the machined side to help align the rail and then i can just use the gantry to slide the second on in place or is this not necessary?

2. once i get the frame back and levelled how likely would it pull the rails out of alignment when bolting to the floor?

3. how expensive is it hiring transport/fork lift to and from?

biggest thing ive ever had transported was a 8ft reef tank

thanks again

would love to see the process of it if you ever decide to do it :)
    It's not a case of if, just when..!

i have a couple of questions because im actually just going to get it machined for peace of mind.

1. would it be wise to also have one side of the frame machined flat so when getting the first rail on i can use a dial indicator against the machined side to help align the rail and then i can just use the gantry to slide the second on in place or is this not necessary?

2. once i get the frame back and levelled how likely would it pull the rails out of alignment when bolting to the floor?

3. how expensive is it hiring transport/fork lift to and from?
    #1 Not quite sure what your meaning here.? You will have a register machined into the surface for the rails to sit against so won't need to do that.!

#2 Depends on how well built and braced the machine is, build it right and it will level/setup fine. You shouldn't need to bolt it to the floor as it will be heavy enough it won't walk around any time soon.

#3 Impossible to answer as it will depend on distance and vehicle size etc. You might find it cheaper and easier to ask a machine mover rather than hiring a vehicle, some machine movers will give you a cheaper price if they can do it to suit them when passing on other jobs or return loads. If you get a decent mover I'd expect between £300 -£500 depending on the distance.
    Might be worth asking the engineering people as they will be dealing with machine and equipment movers on regular basis.

Thanks Dean glad the first 2 is not needed. i think this frame look good enough although would like to know if 5mm is enough for the rails or should i go 6/8/10?

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finished frame.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	819.7 KB 
ID:	30434

Thanks Dean glad the first 2 is not needed. i think this frame look good enough although would like to know if 5mm is enough for the rails or should i go 6/8/10?

Thanks
    5mm will be good enough for the tubes but not the rail surfaces, weld some 10mm flat bar to the top tubes for the machining.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information