. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A pot is a potentiometer . Intended to vary voltage for a number of possible applications .

With these drivers a varying voltage input between 0 and 10 v dc causes a varying output voltage typically from 0 v to 170 volts or so, which will give full motor speed .

Most drives have a 10 v output terminal and a ground terminal across which a 10 kilohm resistor can be connected . A wiper brushing along the length of this resistor will pick up a proportion of this 10 volts from 0v to 10v which is used to feed the input terminal and this is all that a potentiometer does. This in turn causes it to give an output voltage to the motor between a minimum of zero volts which leaves it stationary , to say 170 volts which gives it full chat . This is the simple way to operate and indeed prove one of these drivers. And this is what we are aiming to prove by connecting a pot .

Then In our case we want the computer to send the signal voltage which will vary the motor speed under program control , so the PWM output is used .
    This may need to be converted to a 0-10v analog output which many modern breakout boards handle, or I suspect in your case the PWM output may be used to generate a the 0-10v analog input which is needed to control your motor in a separate board . This then replaces the function of the Pot.

A pic of that board would be helpful to try and establish that is correct.

Thank you for explaining and I apologise for such a delayed response, life has been so busy of late

I'll look at ordering a pot and inserting it into the circuitry soon.
    I've found this pot on eBay, however there are four different types (linear, logarithmic, linear stereo and reverse logarithmic)
    Could you please advise which one would be suitable?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283066568...QAAOSwzcJd8Wum

I've removed the orange cover from the GEC Gemini board (please see pictures attached)
    I've also attached a picture of my "ports" findings for the BoB and Driver boards

I've been thinking, with having limited time of late and limited knowledge/experience with these builds, it may be more appropriate for me to contact a Mach3 conversion service in the north west of England to get the machine(s) seen to by a professional, like the service provided in the link below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253940218...cAAOSwwb1byQXm

With a bit of luck the Boxford lathe would be an easy fix with it already being converted, but as I mentioned in an earlier message I've also acquired a Denford Starmill which I'd like to have converted to Mach3. If I was to do both machines myself it would require months of research, trial and error

Thank you for your time, knowledge and patience. It is massively appreciated

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_2021-10-26_10-52-58.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	30580

Name:	photo_2021-10-26_10-53-06.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	30581

Name:	photo_2021-10-26_10-52-58 (2).jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	30582

Name:	photo_2021-10-26_10-52-58 (3).jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	30583

Name:	photo_2021-10-26_11-24-21.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	30584

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I would fit a linear pot
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Did you get this project completed? Been looking at converting my own boxford.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information