. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It is a OMRON LY2NJ. The Spec sheet is easy to find on the Web.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VFD_UCCNC_AXBBEwithRelay.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	30452

This is the wiring set up.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCimino View Post
    It is a OMRON LY2NJ. The Spec sheet is easy to find on the Web.
    Ok, this is the same relay we sell and use so I know it well.

Now tell me the pin numbers you are using for the Com and the NO and NC contacts for each set of contacts.?

Edit: forget that I've just seen your post
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

So testing the spindle with NO POWER you should get continuity between #6 - # 2 and #5 - #1. with NO continuity between #6 - #4 and #5 -#3.
    Then with power applied you should get continuity between #6 - #4 and #5 -#3 with NO continuity between #6 - #2 and #5 - #1.

If you get anything else then you have a faulty relay.

Also, you don't need to use the second set of NC contacts for the ATC release, you can just use the NC of the first set of contacts because it will change over when the relay turns on. HOWEVER, if you are using this to actually release the tool rather than just forming an inhibit to the solonoid it's a very bad idea because every time the spindle stops it will drop the tool.?? . . . Surely this is not what you meant.!

Thank-you [email protected] for you continued support.

Let me explain some more of my issue.

I tested 3 states on the relay.

State #1: All wires disconnected from the Relay (NO POWER) and got the results noted in Test #1. All was as expected and consistent with your guidance.

State #2 All wires connected to the Relay, AXBB-E, VFD and PSU energized, but no M3 call from UCCNC. This is the one that gave me the unexpected results in Test #2. I expected State #1 and State #2 performance of the relay to be the same. The relay should only be energized when there is a M3 call.

State#3 All wires connected to the Relay, AXBB-E, VFD and PSU energized, plus M3 call from UCCNC. This gave me the results noted in Test #3. Again this was as expected and consistent with your guidance.

My ATC has 3 pneumatic valves which operate as follows (the manual is unclear so I've deduced this operation with much testing):

MODE #1 LOCK: This mode is activated while the momentary push button is in normal position (i.e. not pushed). This mode injects air to keep the Spindle locked. I connect the solenoid as NC (on loss of DC power this valve will continue to keep the spindle locked). This is why when the CNC is powered off the collet does not drop from the machine. Even if I disconnect air pressure the collet will not drop from the machine because you need to activate the REL mode to disengage the clamp spring. The clamp spring alone will prevent the collet from dropping.

MODE #2 REL and DUST: This mode is activated while the momentary push button is momentarily pushed in. This mode will cut DC Power to the Lock solenoid and is the first step to unlocking the Spindle. Subsequently air is injected in the spindle that disengage the spring clamp plus pushes the holder out of the spindle. At the same time there is another air feed that clears any dust from the spindle. The REL and DUST valves operate together in a NO fashion. On loss of DC Power they are not active.

Now I don't want MODE #2 activated by accident while the Spindle is spinning (M3 command) so I connected to the second set of poles on the relay as noted in the updated wiring diagram. I am using the second set of poles to open and close the 24V circuit to the solenoid valve. I want the 24V circuit to the REL and DUST solenoids open when there is a M3 call so that pushing the momentary switch will have no effect.

Here is the confusing part. The spindle "on" - "off" through UCCNC works. My original request for assistance is resolved.

The second set of poles is not working. The ATC works properly if the solenoid valves are wired to bypass the relay. When I wire as noted REL and DUST valves continue to operate regardless whether there is a M3 call or not. To test the M3 used MDI command M3S0 (activate the spindle but run the spindle at 0 RPM). Maybe this is not appropriate?

JohnVFD_UCCNC_AXBBEwithRelayandPushButton.pdf

Well, I can't help much more now regards the relay without being there, relays are simple things and are either on or off and by nature of the beast either in a NO or NC state dependant if powered or not. If you have both contacts in the same state then I would say it's faulty.!

Regards the ATC then you would usually use a 5way valve for the open/close (Lock in Chinglish) so would only require one NO contact which you would turn on to open the drawbar.

For the REL (Taper clean) you would use a separate two-way valve with another set of contacts, this could be on a separate relay or on the same relay as the drawbar. Personally, I use a separate relay so I can control the Airblast independently from the drawbar. This allows me to only turn the air on when required so saving Air and power.

The Dust usually relates to the Air seal which protects the bearings while the spindle is running. Again this is operated with a 2-way valve but using separate NO contacts on the Spindle on/off relay.

But without seeing your ATC spindle manual then it may be different from how I describe above.?

Just a quick note to let anyone following this thread know that I was able to resolve this issue by simply changing to another output pin. I was using output pin 3 and it was not working. When I moved to output pin 2 the system works as expected. Not sure if I damaged output pin 3 or if it was an out of box defect. Sending a M3 command to pin 2 will now energize the relay. When I was connected to pin 3 the relay was energized regardless of whether there was an M3 call or not.

One final question for [email protected]: Do you usually install diode protection when you use the OMRON LY2NJ relay? From the diagram on the plastic case it appears to have an internal diode but I'm wondering if the lack of diode is what damaged pin 3. If the answer is yes can you please advise how to wire it? Output pins 2 is optically isolated but I'm not sure if that provide protection from voltage surges.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCimino View Post
    One final question for [email protected]: Do you usually install diode protection when you use the OMRON LY2NJ relay? From the diagram on the plastic case it appears to have an internal diode but I'm wondering if the lack of diode is what damaged pin 3. If the answer is yes can you please advise how to wire it? Output pins 2 is optically isolated but I'm not sure if that provide protection from voltage surges.
    No never needed to fit a diode and never blown an output on the AXBB-E under normal conditions, I have fit around 30 AXBB-E in the last 3 months with each controlling 4 Omron LY2NJ relays so I'm confident this won't be why you have a faulty output.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information