. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerNinja54 View Post
    The original drive Denford fitted is non-isolated from the factory, so whilst the 1220i may be an upgrade, the 1200 should work fine… shouldn’t it?

‘How do you know you need the i version?’
    Mine needed the Isolated version else it would damage the CS Labs controller. So I suppose it depends on what the source of your 0-10 V is. Not read the full thread.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

No worries. I appreciate the comments regardless.

Excuse my ignorance… the CS Labs Controller… is that instead of the Baldor board for communication etc?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    The fact the drive runs with the SGR (Spindle Go Relay) relay removed, indicates either a fault with the sprint drive, or somebody has altered wiring.

I think I'd start with comparing the wiring to the wiring diagrams.

54 should go to terminal 49 on the connector board, and 55 to 47.
    The enable circuit passes through the SGR, and the enclosure safety switch relay -
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TriacSpindleDrive.gif 
Views:	81 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	30499
    If the spindle still activates with the 51/53 wires disconnected from the drive, then there is an issue with the drive.

But that wouldn't explain why you're not getting the expected 0-10V output.
    You are measuring the voltage between the 54/55 wires, and not to gnd?
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Everything I’ve checked has been in line with electrical diagrams… not checked everything, but everything I have has been correct.
    The 54/55 were correctly in 49/47.
    Spindle activates with 51/53 removed.
    Yep, measured across the board terminals and at the wires (in case I was being stupid!).
    Not tested against ground.

Disconnected 54 & 55 from Sprint and fitted a 10k linear potentiometer;
    Spindle fires up as machine boots up (incl. with SGR removed).
    @10k, spindle was running at approx 1k rpm (by eye/estimated)
    @9k & less, spindle increases in rpm rapidly
    I.e. NOT 10k = 250rpm / 5k = 2000rpm / 0k = 4000rpm
    More like, 10k = 1000rpm / 9k = 2500rpm / 8k = 4000rpm

Increasingly looking like both the Sprint drive and Baldor board are both dead..?
    Sprint boards seem readily available, but anyone know of any Baldor boards? (Doubtful I know…)
    Other options…?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I did finally look for the pot tonight, but I couldn't find it. I know where it was prior to me re-arranging the workshop to get my new lathe in, but I have no idea where it is now :/

The sprint drive certainly shouldn't power the spindle without any input.
    The speed control also indicates a problem, but I'm wondering if somebody has added in the 0-20mA link, as that could give strange results if you then try to control speed by a pot.

It may not be the Baldor controller itself that is the problem.
    Although this post isn't applicable to Triacs that use a full rack, it shows that the analogue output is done on a separate output board - https://www.denfordata.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=325
    I'm guessing on the full rack system, this will be done on the custom card next to the Baldor Nextmove ST card.
    It's probably worth pulling out the custom card, and checking for any obvious issues.

No problem. Thanks for looking.
    (I ordered one from Amazon at 21:30… it arrived at 11:30 the next day! Bearing in mind I’m in Cornwall… that’s pretty amazing!!)

Thanks for additional thoughts…
    I couldn’t see any components that were fried or anything on the custom board, fuses are ok etc… anything else I can check?

(Will post a pic… if I can work out how!!)

Next step is electronics knowledge, and tracing the relevant circuits.

The big problem however, is testing the cards under power, as being rack mount, it won't be easy to probe components when installed.

I think I'd start by removing the rack, and tracing the analogue wiring, to find out where the analogue isolation circuit is. From there it would be a case of starting with the basics, like checking the DC/DC converter is getting power, and is working.
    The DCDC converter might actually be pretty obvious, and there is possibly only one of them.

It's probably worth posting a photo of the custom card, and we can point you in the right direction of where various bits are likely to be.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Name:	FE368440-7355-4B59-8BE6-283D70C06215.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	397.6 KB 
ID:	30500

Here’s the custom card… any pointers gratefully received!

I’ve been onto Sprint and they were really helpful.
    Info on assessing and potentially repairing the existing drive, as well as quotes for new.
    I’ll study the wiring diagrams and go from there, with regard to tracing and locating a converter.

That card is just logic chips and opto-isolators.

What's on the card to the left from that one?

Name:	9841EC35-9D5E-44E6-8282-70D15D29975C.jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	401.6 KB 
ID:	30501

This is the first card, to the left of the custom card.
    This is the Baldor card.

The cards to the right of the custom card are the 3 individual axis cards.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information