. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Hi,

Looking at connecting a Click PLC to my Hardinge Lathe to deal with the tool turret logic. I can use the SZGH controller however they sink everything to 0V whilst my turret sensors are all 12V.

Does anyone have some experience with these - just want to validate what I need to do before I go buy one / decide which model / version.

Thanks

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I used one in my Cyclone for the tool turret.

If the SZGH can handle the logic, I'd be more inclined to make/use a buffer board to convert signals, but it depends on what exactly you're trying to accomplish.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I used one in my Cyclone for the tool turret.

If the SZGH can handle the logic, I'd be more inclined to make/use a buffer board to convert signals, but it depends on what exactly you're trying to accomplish.
    Thanks. The logic isnt complicated. I have code for the tool change too, the issue is converting my tool turret sensor output (which goes high on detect) to a 0V low as this is what SZGH need. They reckon I can use a simple IC 2803IC for this too which might be easy enough but would like some options in case I need to deal with some other logic too.

Suppose my other option is to use an Arduino board, that should do the logic easily and be simple enough to code. I also need to fire a number of SSRs to drive some of the air solenoids but they are standard 10-30 V DC stuff.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I've got no complaints about the CLICK PLC and expansion module I used.
    Software is pretty limited, but it does the job.

2803's would work, but I'd probably use optos, and add LEDs so you can see things working.

Although just to clarify, I take it by the turret output going high, you mean it's a PNP output where it actively drives the signal high, then goes high impedance/open circuit when not active?

Hi yes, 12V feed in, then 4 bit out. So pending what the pattern (2 go high at a time), you get 8 different turret positions.

Page 51 of this manual https://www.centroidcnc.com/download...ingeManual.pdf shows the details. But yes, 'on' = 12V out.

If that's all that needs converted, I'd just make a buffer board, as it'll be far cheaper and simpler than adding a PLC into the mix.

OK, will have to research buffer board however this might be easier with a bit of code? Let me explain.

In the 'M6 Program' on the SZGH, you can define code.

This is the current code to state which Tool is active. 8 Scenarios, 4 inputs. Could I not simply swap the logic?

CASET1+X00-X01-X02-X03
    CASET2-X00+X01-X02-X03
    CASET3+X00+X01-X02-X03
    CASET4-X00-X01+X02-X03
    CASET5+X00-X01+X02-X03
    CASET6-X00+X01+X02-X03
    CASET7+X00+X01+X02-X03
    CASET8-X00-X01-X02+X03

I might try this later but still need to complete some wiring before I Can check.

So tried this, I get no update on the T numbers but it might be related to the macro not running properly yet as it times out as I've not yet connected the actual moving bits, so it times out.

Ignore the code for a moment, and answer the electrical questions.

The turret encoder goes high when active, but does it actively switch low when not-active?
    If it does actively switch low (and not just go high-impedance), then it might be able to switch the SZGH inputs directly, but it'll depend on the actual hardware inputs as to whether they'll reliably switch when they're driven to 12V instead of being left open circuit.

As long as the electrical side is switching reliably, then swapping logic is easy enough. In that code sample you posted, you just need to swap the + and -'s

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information