. .

Thread: Back Again

Hi all

I trust you are all keeping well?

I have not been doing anything at all in the workshop over spring and summer, but now that the nights are closing in, it's time to get back in and get on with my project.

So.............................

At risk of offending some, raising some eyebrows, I am back to get on with my build :smug

It's going to be bad, not pretty and possibly downright ugly and useless

I finally decided what to do and ordered a plate kit from the US to fit my profiles

The 16mm rail kits I purchased will be sold at a big discount to get rid of them and order some 12mm linear rails to fit the plate kit and my aluminium profiles.

Will probably be well into December before everything arrives, I may even have it running for early next year?

Well, it's a plan, it's a start, so here goes

WoodKnot
    Carpe Diem

Good luck and welcome back. I actually thought you were ready and forgot all about us. Anyway, hopefully you learned something from the discussions before and not made the same mistakes and miscalculations. One thing though... I still think you would have been better off with the 16mm stuff and the 20mm rails and should have let Jazz fix your issues, even if you'd had to pay for some of his services. 12mm rails are in my opinion too weak for a CNC. I think you will not get the rigidity you hope for.

In any case, ugly or not, it does no matter unless you make it for selling. One of the beauty of DIY is that it's OK if it looks like it was "home made" by amateurs, not factory made by professionals. If it works, it works. The beauty of things can also be the fact the "I made this..." so you can be proud of it, even if it is not winning a beauty contest. Making it useless is in my opinion worst, especially after all this fuzz about it, and especially in the second round. Hopefully you will be able to use it somehow, but my guess is that it will take a long time before you can make your first cut. Waiting for the parts is just the beginning of the process. In the meantime, you can start designing the electronics and all the rest.

Lives in Leeds, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-12-2022 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 116. Received thanks 16 times, giving thanks to others 21 times.
    12mm rails are going to be a bit of a sticky subject, what is your intended use/material etc. Normally those size rails you would find on a 3D printer which Is under very light axial/radial loads. Have you got a 3d design drawn up that we all could see?

Rob

Thanks A Camera, it will be what it will be.

It's looking pretty already ��

WoodKnot
    Carpe Diem

Quote Originally Posted by RobC View Post
    12mm rails are going to be a bit of a sticky subject, what is your intended use/material etc. Normally those size rails you would find on a 3D printer which Is under very light axial/radial loads. Have you got a 3d design drawn up that we all could see?

Rob
    Now then, erm plans. No!

I m kind of flying by the seat of my pants

Well, I am using someoe else's build from openbuilds

I have been told many times its not up to the job!

These builds based on oozenests workbee.

But, for some it may be of interest and some may not?

It may turn out OK, it may turn out to be awful?

Thanks

WoodKnot
    Carpe Diem

hello all

Just like to say that my CNC machine has been a complete success - knocking signs out for fun!!

Easel software is great and I have not broken a single cutter, is very intuitive and easy to use.

Openbuilds Blackbox controller has been a dream to use with no issues what so ever.

So, all in all, very happy with the whole package!

It may not be a commercial grade machine - but it does what i want

WoodKnot
    Carpe Diem

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WoodKnot For This Useful Post:

How about some pictures please?

Thread Information