. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi, I have three Panasonic MSD043xx servos on a Triac I am rewiring. It had a AHHA Artisan Dos system on it before with their propriety boards wired in. So had to remove all of those.

Anyhoot with a lot of help (thanks to joe.average and Andrew over at the Warp9 forum). I have managed to sort out the wiring in theory. However the manual states the pins numbers but not how they relate to the actual connection on the unit. The connection looks like an SCSI 36 pin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pana_02.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	31023

I am thinking that this may be the case (below), but would like confiirmation either way please.

Name:	pana_03.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	31024

The manual also has a diagram... that I think might be a optional cable connection for the unit????? The image with the trapeziode seems to denote a connector but doesn't seem to follow any known configuration?????

Name:	pana_04.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	31025

I have the original "pre-made" cables, but I feel these may be a special cable for the AHHA/Artisan boards??? (again guessing). They are labelled "Simplatroll M2-544854" but I cannot find any information on these.

Name:	pana_05.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	31026

Any information would be gratefully recieved

thanks
    Every time I am wrong - the World makes a little less sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo1966 View Post
    Anyhoot with a lot of help (thanks to joe.average and Andrew over at the Warp9 forum). I have managed to sort out the wiring in theory. However the manual states the pins numbers but not how they relate to the actual connection on the unit. The connection looks like an SCSI 36 pin.
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking here.? You say how they relate to the connection on the Unit.? What unit are you talking about.? Do you mean the Controller or breakout board if so then you don't say which controller or breakout board and without that, no one can help you really?

The diagram of the pinout for the drive is self-explanatory really, you decide which of the pins you are going to use and connect to the pin numbers on the 36-pin connector. Then at the other end, you have the choice to wire to the same pin numbers if it's 36pins or if the controller or bob has its own pin numbers on say a 44 pin connector then you wire to the relevant pins this requires. Often on the connector at the other end, you will pull each pin wire and send it to several places inside the control box.

We need more info on the "Unit" you talk about.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Hi,

The unit in question is the Panasonic MSD043xx series servo. Not worried about the breakout board side. https://industrial.panasonic.com/con...s_manual_e.pdf

The first image in my above post shows the pin outs for the panasonic unit (from the paperwork included with the miller). But the manual does not state which pin on the physical drive connector is pin 1.

Picture 2 is what I "guess" are the pin numbers on the connection actually on the unit and the corresponding connector that connects to that.

The last picture is of the the cables that came with it, but I think they are proprietry to the Artisan boards. So of no help to me. But I can cut the serial connectors off and still use the cable.

thanks
    Last edited by Nemo1966; 12-05-2022 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    The diagram of the pinout for the drive is self-explanatory really, you decide which of the pins you are going to use and connect to the pin numbers on the 36-pin connector. Then at the other end, you have the choice to wire to the same pin numbers if it's 36pins or if the controller or bob has its own pin numbers on say a 44 pin connector then you wire to the relevant pins this requires. Often on the connector at the other end, you will pull each pin wire and send it to several places inside the control box.
    We need more info on the "Unit" you talk about.
    A bit like this one which is a db44 for a delta.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...c00PlsAmK&mp=1
    The loose ends get connected to the relevant pins on your breakout/controller you want to use to control it.

Looks like a 36pin scsi on the panny to me.

Something like this and chop it to loose one end (depending on whether need male/female).
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...Adapt=Pc2Msite
    Or solder your own 'kit' connector together.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3304...Adapt=Pc2Msite
    Last edited by dazp1976; 12-05-2022 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    A bit like this one which is a db44 for a delta.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...c00PlsAmK&mp=1
    The loose ends get connected to the relevant pins on your breakout/controller you want to use to control it.

Looks like a 36pin scsi on the panny to me.
    It's the scsi 36 pin on the actual drive i need to know about.

In short... is this correct or not?????

Attachment 31027

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo1966 View Post
    In short... is this correct or not?????

Attachment 31027
    The attachment not working for me.
    I added a couple of examples in my previous post.
    I don't know whether you'd need male/female.
    You'll have to judge it against your drive CN connection.
    Likely to find something on Aliexpress (if your not in a rush).

Ok, can you post the manual or a link to it.

Ok, I found the manual and it looks to me like the diagram below is what you need, I know it says for external equipment but I just think that means when being controlled externally rather than using the built-in control functions and using as stand alone drive.

Now I'm not too familiar with SCSI plugs but did a quick google on the SCSI and most show a 4-row pin arrangement. However, as it says in the manual you need to confirm the pin location on the connector matches.

This is not an unusual arrangement on servos connectors, I recently retro fit an Hurco with Honda 44 pin Scsi connectors on Yaskawa servo drives and they used 4 rows that were similar in layout to those.

All this said I wouldn't connect up to the servo until you have verified the pin layout because it will be very easy to blow an input if you get it wrong.

Name:	pana_04.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	31025

Use a meter to identify the Gnd pins, this should hopefully determine the layout.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information