Hi All

Many thanks for the heads up on the gantry strength.

I’m going to be setting up the cnc on it’s stand over the next few days. I might get a dial indicator setup on it and see just how much flex it has. I’ll also look to see if their is any way to beef up the gantry / z axis if it flexes too much.

The old mount for the dead 240v spindle is only about 20mm high and held onto it by the collar only. I was already thinking I’d have to try and make a new mount somehow as the old spindle seems a weird size and I’d think I’d struggle to find another one the same.

Luckily I have a friend with a milling machine, who likes a challenge and accepts beer tokens!!!

Either way, I do like the idea of using a vfd/spindle setup rather than a regular router. Not so much for the cutting ability, but more for the noise.

I’ve seen some 800w air cooled spindles with fans on the top. YouTube gives mixed messages about these, so i’m not sure which way to go.

My eventual goal is to be able to cut up to 18mm mdf and ply, up to 5mm Perspex and polycarbonate. In an ideal world I’d love to be able to cut 6mm aluminium plate but it’s not the end of the world if this is a step too far.

I will post some photos when I can.

Many thanks

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk