. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think you have my old tool changer

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 417. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 10 times.
    I thought it might be - but you talk as if you are still getting yours running, which confused me. In fact you have changed over to a VFD if I understand correctly.

Mine was badged Matchmaker - I don't recall if yours was. Either way, I've just acquired another ancient Matchmaker machine, this time a Tree CNC lathe. The domestic incident has now died down again and I have been given my balls back (on loan). The other cost was the acquisition of a cat which I can live with as long as it doesn't crap in the workshop....

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Mine's an AN-S.
    From what I'm aware, Matchmaker bought and retrofitted various different machines. Shizuoka's were just one of various machines they sold. I'm aware they also done some Bridgeports.
    My own mill had also been upgraded to a Heidenhain servo system by another company in the NW,

Shizuoka still exist, and you can still buy a new mill that is pretty much still the same basic machine - http://www.shizuokatekko.co.jp/m_manualmilling.html
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zadig View Post
    Thanks for looking and thanks for the offer too. I’ve bought a 3/8” butterfly impact driver with an idea of making one like the kurt design and if I can’t get a replacement electric one that is easy enough to butcher I’ll probably go down a similar route to yourself. My old Black and Decker one works quite well and get lots of use, I’m just predicting it’s going to let me down half way through a job. My only criticism of it is it’s a bit loud and when a job has twenty or so manual tool changes your ears ring after a while. I can’t recommend getting a big motor and vfd highly enough. A direct drive and getting rid of the noisy back gear makes the mill almost silent. I made up a large resistor bank for it and the spindle stops in half a second.
    I bought a 3/8" butterfly gun, but I didn't think it was powerful enough, especially once you fit a 1/2" adapter, so I opted for a normal 1/2" gun.
    That part of the project has got as far as machining a bit 6mm plate to make sure I've got the required dimensions correct. Next step is to machine a block of aluminium with those groves, and a couple holes for air fittings on the other. Then figure out exactly what I need fitting/regulator wise to control it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TestPlate.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	30930

I’d like a CNC lathe. I’ve a third size steam traction engine I’m selling this year and I think I’ll treat myself with the proceeds. My mill is working fine, in fact it has been earning me quite a bit of money over this last year. I want the VFD’s for a lathe. I know I said a mill, I wanted to keep things simple, didn’t know I’d be bumping into old friends. I thought the 3/8” butterfly impact gun felt a bit weak too, what kind of 1/2” gun have you decided on. Going back to the original question, it seems the 380v VFD inverters don’t have the resistive braking facilities, just the 220v ones and these are only in the GT series. The tip about allowing the vfd to allow the machine to freewheel to a stop is a huge help so thanks.

I'd have to check the model number, but it was Sealey one that I acquired from work after we had several stop working. Turns out the gasket was blowing out on the endplate so the air was bypassing the motor, as it was just a paper gasket on a few mm ridge, so it had little support.

I stripped it, and machined the nose parallel, so it just needs a bush machined so it fits the original electric driver holder.

The problem I had was finding a suitable air gun with an alloy casing and sufficiently long nose section that could be machined straight. Lots of airguns have very short noses, or are now composite bodies.

Actually, just had a look at the catalogue. I think it's GSA02.
    I'll cut the handle off to remove some bulk, as it only contains the original regulator (just a basic flow restrictor), and trigger.
    Basically everything below the bolt holes isn't needed, and I just need to get air in and out the two slots, and vent the body/bearing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AirGun.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	30950

I’ll look at the impact gun you mention, I think the butterfly one is too weak as well. I need to have something ready fairly soon, I know it’s going to give me problems when I can least afford it. Cheers for all the help it’s been valuable, cheers too Muzzer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information