Quote Originally Posted by Fall_Guy13 View Post
Thanks for ALL your advice and input, its been a big help.

After reading and viewing videos on your recommended UC products, I'm thinking of purchasing the UC100 usb controller and Mach3 software. Judging by some of the articles I've read,, they appear to be very simple to set-up and run quite smoothly together, so I'm hoping they should be fine running on my windows 7 64bit system.

Q) Does the UC100 contoller have any preference to USB 2 or USB 3 connectivity ?
Q) Does the US400 Ethernet version have any advantages over the UC 100 ?

Any advice welcome and thanks again for your time and responses.
Mach3 is a bad choice, it's unsupported and does have some bugs which won't ever get fixed. UCCNC is far better software that is supported and made by the people who make the hardware, it doesn't get better than this and to top it off UCCNC is cheaper than Mach3.

Regards which controller.? I wouldn't go with USB, even the UC100 as it's much more prone to interference by electrical noise. Ethernet is the only sensible choice IMO if you are going to the trouble of wiring in a new controller.

The UC400 is ok and uses Ethernet which is far superior to USB, however, it doesn't have Analog outputs so if you want to control spindle speed through the software then you will need a separate spindle board.

The best Combo in my opinion for machines that don't require using ATC or need lots of Inputs and Outputs is the AXBB-E and UCCNC.
We fit these into all our machines and they are fantastic. Very easy to set up all in a very neat package for wiring. They provide 4-axis as standard on the board and can be upgraded to 6-axis by adding a separate breakout board which also provides extra Inputs/Outputs if required.

The UC300, UC400, and the AXBB-E all use the same Controller so in performance terms they are exactly the same. The only difference between them is the amount of I/O with the UC300 being the one that provides the most I/O for larger machines that require lots of inputs/outputs.