Quote Originally Posted by Angrybear View Post
If I have my facts right the Denfords in question run on older technology that involves Parallel Ports, ancient PCs and antiquated software. I understand they can be updated, but I wouldn't have the faintest idea where to start. Im currently relearning CAD, and have yet to still learn CAM, speeds and feeds, work-holding, etc etc. Im not sure my limited brain could also fit in having to learn the seemingly complicated skills involved in how to update everything, and get this working with that and so on. I fear a Denford would quickly become a very heavy, expensive, paper weight.
I wouldn't be too concerned about something that uses a parallel port. It's still widely used, you can get a PC with one for very little, and use WinXP or 7 32bit.
Admittedly I know nothing of the more industrial machines but I've had no problem with the likes of mach3. And I updated my parallel controller to an ethernet controller for more I/O. Re-wiring wasn't too difficult and changing the software ports and pins
If you have all the documents it helps.