Hi All,

First of all apologies if this is in the wrong place. I am looking for my first CNC for engraving watch dials and various other small tasks.
I have no idea where to start. Im not sure whether I need a proper CNC Mill, a Gantry Router etc etc.

What I need to be able to do primarily is to engrave non ferrous metals - for example engrave guilloche patterns or numerals and other markings onto sterling silver discs. The disc may be 30-37mm diameter, 0.4-0.6mm thick. The markings can be as small as 0.1mm line width with an equivalent depth of cut. SO very small details, relatively accurately. I currently use photo etching to do this, but it seriously limits my design and the materials I can use. I have seen videos of the Nomad 3 doing this very well.

A second use which would be really lovely to be able to do would be to make various watch parts. Eg a watch case out of argentium silver, or a movement bridge out of brass. If I could very occasionally cut some sort of free machining stainless steel (or other ferrous metals) that would be amazing (but im guessing unlikely). I know whatever machine I end up with will not be able to achieve the accuracy I need for bridges, but I intend to finish the parts using alternative methods after the rough cutting has been done.

I can't imaging I will need to machine anything larger that say 60x60x20mm, so we are talking quite small parts.

I have been researching this for months and still don't know where to turn. Im guessing a traditional metal mill style machine would be the ideal but im guessing also out of my limited budget? If not then where to look? Could I do this on a gantry style machine? will it give the accuracy? Any advice is needed.

The research I have done suggests the Nomad 3 is the best option. At around £3k it is right at the top of my budget and this makes me nervous. I would also prefer to buy from British company if possible. I have no problem with building or setting up a simple kit, but don't think I would be able to covert a manual mill (too much of a learning curve with limited time)

Im sorry about the lengthy post but wanted to give you as much info as possible.