. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi all, the 3D probe shown in the attached photo is being sold on the web by several vendors, ranging from AliExpress through eBay to CNC system sellers. It looks quite nice, having only a 6mm shank and being quite short so good for machines with limited daylight.

Does anyone have any experience with these they could share please?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Probe-1-800x600.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	31377

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 412. Received thanks 59 times, giving thanks to others 10 times.
    Uwe ("suntravel") over on the Centroid Acorn forum uses one of these (or very similar) for tool offset measurement on his lathe. On that basis I just bought one myself although I have no experience of using it yet. Looks quite nicely made and Uwe reckons it's pretty accurate. He knows what he's doing, so it sounds like a good recommendation.

This is the one we got https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...58861802sWYBON

Thanks Muzzer, that's useful!

There is a guy here on the forum @XYZ_Spec also using a similar probe, he seems to like it quite allot:

I was thinking about getting one too, from what I can tell version 6 is the newest one, 3D Touch Probe Edge Finder
    .Me

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 412. Received thanks 59 times, giving thanks to others 10 times.
    It cost me the normal price of £60 +vat ie £72. However, I see there is a special 11-11 sale on today which seems to discount the price to £54. That is better than a kick in the teeth, although I wish I hadn't looked, as it will cause me some loss of sleep, being a Scottish blooded Yorkshireman and all.

EDIT: Scotsman's nightmare worsens - it's actually available for £45.60 delivered. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...001615837864.0
    Last edited by Muzzer; 11-11-2022 at 06:40 PM.

I'm sorry but I got a bit carried away this evening and ended up modelling the thing In Fusion. I'm going to integrate it into a toolsetter for the latest CNC lathe, so this is the first part to create. I've stuck it on Grabcad FWIW:
    https://grabcad.com/library/diyo-3d-probe-v6-1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DIYO 3D probe V6.JPG 
Views:	275 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	31378

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Muzzer For This Useful Post:

I just bit the bullet at £55 all-in.
    Just hope it works.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHaine View Post
    Hi all, the 3D probe shown in the attached photo is being sold on the web by several vendors, ranging from AliExpress through eBay to CNC system sellers. It looks quite nice, having only a 6mm shank and being quite short so good for machines with limited daylight.

Does anyone have any experience with these they could share please?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Probe-1-800x600.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	31377
    I am using this one:

It comes with several tips, even long ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    I'm sorry but I got a bit carried away this evening and ended up modelling the thing In Fusion. I'm going to integrate it into a toolsetter for the latest CNC lathe, so this is the first part to create. I've stuck it on Grabcad FWIW:
    https://grabcad.com/library/diyo-3d-probe-v6-1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DIYO 3D probe V6.JPG 
Views:	275 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	31378
    Nice, when mine gets here I was going to do a tear down/review of it, I had a similar idea of mounting it to the machine on an arm like the Datron's have, so you can leave it on the machine etc, for completeness I could take some dimensions of the internal parts for you to add to the model if you like?
    .Me

It's possible I could model the internals but I'm not convinced it would be valuable as I don't plan to substitute any internal parts. My main interest is mounting it on my machine on an arm fitted to the tailstock.

Note that there's a pretty good exploded assembly drawing on the various websites.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information