. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yep sorted. Looks like a beefy machine that one :)

hey pavlo,
    amazing work !!
    I think I just found the design of my router (well,,,almost!)
    I wish if you could send me your design ,I'll start a new thread soon after finishing the initial design of mine.

I'm thinking of ACME (multi-start) instead of ball screw and aluminium (tube) for frame

3-axis upgradeable to removable 4th-axis (rotary)
    with a working area of 400mm x 300mm and 2 N.m steppers
    I'll order the steppers kit soon
    this is the link
    http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Axis-Nema-23-S...item4155c86bd7
    chinese , can't imagine the life without them

hope to hear from you soon

excuse my bad english ,it's not my native :)

Quote Originally Posted by F.O.X View Post
    I'm thinking of ACME (multi-start) instead of ball screw and aluminium (tube) for frame
    Why aluminium tube? Surely steel is easier to join (by welding) and stronger for the money...

Quote Originally Posted by F.O.X View Post
    3-axis upgradeable to removable 4th-axis (rotary)
    I'll order the steppers kit soon
    this is the link
    http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Axis-Nema-23-S...item4155c86bd7
    I think you'll find that kit to be of limited value. The stepper motors have an extremely high inductance (18mH), which combined with the low voltage that driver runs on will really limit your motor speed.

Thanx for your replay Jonathan,,
    The fixed work table from steel but the gantry is movable and steel's density is 7850 Kg/cu.m compared to AL 2650 Kg/cu.m .
    it's easier for me to use steel for all the body but I'm not sure if the 2N.m motors can handle it ,I didn't finish my calculations

about the kit,, I'll consult my friend ,an elec.eng. , I hope it can be tuned.
    I'm short of time and money and the drivers are more expensive than the board , I can switch later to better drivers
    Right now I'm in big trouble , I can't find screw lead (ACME) and slid rails in the market , that's why I didn't finish calculations , my last hope is printers' scrap .

Does anybody knows website? with international shipping? or another way? :S

Hi FOX

Glad you like the router, I will PM you with as much information as I have regarding plans and suppliers.

One thing to bear in mind is that although aluminium is about a third of the density of steel, it's Young's modulus is also a third of steel's. This means that for the same geometry, you need to use three times as much aluminium to get the rigidity of steel. The benefit of aluminium is that the geometry of extuded sections have a high second moment of area (I) which gives good flexural rigidity.

Quote Originally Posted by pavlo View Post
    One thing to bear in mind is that although aluminium is about a third of the density of steel, it's Young's modulus is also a third of steel's. This means that for the same geometry, you need to use three times as much aluminium to get the rigidity of steel. The benefit of aluminium is that the geometry of extuded sections have a high second moment of area (I) which gives good flexural rigidity.
    That's what I was referring to, but you put it better.
    Also steel is 1.7x more dense than aluminum, which is something to consider with regards to resonance.

7. Hi Pavlo
    Great job with your router. Looks like we have similiar ideas about building CNC's. I built mine from 50x100 and 50x50 steel profiles like you did. Frame of mines is 120x150cm. Steel construction is rigid enough to mill steel, so I think steel construction is right way to go
    Regards
    Mariusz

I see

So steel it'll be

thank you all for your replays

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information