. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Next step involved spending some more money. So I spoke to Gary at Zapp and ordered 3 nema 23, 3nm steppers and drivers plus power supplies and breakout board. An old pc case was scrounged and I put it together like this.

Looking at the price of motor mounts scared me so I got some more scrap and made these.

Which, when painted looked quite good.

I needed a mount for the Kress spindle I bought so I got my £20 B+Q router out and set to work on more scrap. When it was all put together it looked like this.

A gift of a decent spec pc with a parallel port meant that I could start to get it working. I installed mach3, plugged it all in and told the program it was 400 steps per mm on all axis. I expected to be doing a log of tinkering and tuning to get it to run well so I was very pleased when it all ran flawlessly. All axis jogged at full speed without any problems at all and the acceleration I could get amazed me, I ended up turning it down a bit because the kitchen table it was set up on for testing was shaking too much (yes my wife is a saint).

I have still got to connect limit switches and and e stop button but I thought I would give it a go.

YouTube"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhKl0S1JVds

YouTube"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7uFgeNTnZE

So thats it. It took about 4 months of grabbing the odd hour here or there to get it done but now I have a good, strong working router for about £1000.

Now all I need to do is find something to do with it.
    Last edited by pavlo; 07-01-2010 at 02:20 AM. Reason: trying to get youtube to work

wow! looks like a real good machine in only 4 months:clap:could you tell me how easy it was getting slides etc from china, how long did it take?how much did it cost plus delivery?what company did you use?
    sorry for all the questions but i am just snooping around internet for best ideas and prices to build my own router.
    hope my build goes as smoothly as yours
    Tom...

Thread Information