. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Could anyone help? My DIY 3 stepper / axis router, Y axis is not turning. Gantry moves freely by hand pulling the belt drive. I've double checked my wiring, tried another stepper motor driver and tried another stepper motor. When the controller is turned on the Y axis stepper motor holds it position but if I try to jog, the stepper motor tries to turn and makes a high pitched sound. Other 2 axis work fine. I'm thinking it could be a setting in Mach3 or the CS labs IP/M plugin (I may have messed about with some settings and forgotten how it was set up when it was working).
    I'm using CS Labs IP/M controller, DMA860H drivers and low inductance Nema 34 for Y axis. Soft limits and proximity switches for homing.
    It was working fine then it became obvious it was losing steps on the Y axis running a job. Then Y axis packed in.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks...Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chillybo View Post
    When the controller is turned on the Y axis stepper motor holds it position but if I try to jog, the stepper motor tries to turn and makes a high pitched sound.:
    Hi,

It sounds like you may have messed up the acceleration settings for your Y axis (too high) - Make a note of what you have now and compare the acceleration values to the other axes.

My 2p, anyway :)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Misterg For This Useful Post:

Thanks for this, I will check this first thing AM and update whether it helps. Sounds logical. I did swap from a slaved Y axis with 2 motors to one with a belt drive when I dismantled and relocated my machine recently. It is since this I have had Y axis issues although it has been working fine until recently.

Thanks to Misterg,
    You were spot on. I've turned the acceleration right down and it working just fine now. At some point I may think about a higher voltage power supply, I'm only using 50 volts for the stepper motors. Seems enough for X and Z but maybe the inertia of the gantry and spindle, ball screws etc is to much for the Y stepper motor to handle.
    Many thanks. Chris

No worries!

Glad it worked :)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Misterg For This Useful Post:

Thread Information