. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    can anyone offer any suggestions?

got a triac VMC and its starting to have z height issues. i do a lot of engraving and i set the z to zero, do a 5min job and when its finished its 0.6mm out.

ive done half a turn on the z gib screw but this hasnt made any difference, the screw is pretty tight.

all suggestions welcome.

so an update

with spindle off and z in the air. if i move x and y around manually z doesnt change.

if i start the spindle and dont touch anything else, the z height drops.

so maybe some interference? .

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 8 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Sounds like interference is getting into the Z step/dir signals..

Is it still the original spindle?
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Sounds like interference is getting into the Z step/dir signals..

Is it still the original spindle?
    yes all original.

its a difficult one to know where to start

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 8 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Stepper or Servo machine?
    Fanuc or PC control?

Stepper or Servo machine?
    Fanuc or PC control?
    all original

so stepper and ESS running mach3 (PC)

ive owned the machine for over 10 years now and not had this issue before, had many others. just not this one

Not that original then.

What stepper drivers are fitted?
    A photo of the control cabinet would probably be good.

My thoughts to it having only recently started, is probably something starting to fail.
    Probably worth a run around the control cabinet, making sure all screw terminals are tight, and unplugging and reseating any pluggable connectors, just to make sure there's no corrosion in any of them.

Then I'd probably be looking at the spindle motor, and the controller.

Not that original then.

What stepper drivers are fitted?
    A photo of the control cabinet would probably be good.

My thoughts to it having only recently started, is probably something starting to fail.
    Probably worth a run around the control cabinet, making sure all screw terminals are tight, and unplugging and reseating any pluggable connectors, just to make sure there's no corrosion in any of them.

Then I'd probably be looking at the spindle motor, and the controller.
    well nearly original ;)

original stepper drivers.
    cant get a photo till im back in workshop tomorrow now, its a bit messy inside be warned.

ill check all connections tomorrow

i did send the spindle motor away a number of years ago to be tested and reconditioned, set me back £500

That potential cost is why I swapped my spindle motor for a servo.

not been in the cabinet for a while, its still messy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information