. .

Thread: Contactors

Lives in Oxfordshire, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-02-2023 Has been a member for 0-1 years. Has a total post count of 6.
    HI there,

I am looking to use a contactor, I have several but I want to be able to power/energise them from Mains.

I found this on ebay will it work with mains or will it need a 24v psu to energise it?

Best regards,

Andrew

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    It states the coil is 220/240VAC, so should work direct from the mains.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in Oxfordshire, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-02-2023 Has been a member for 0-1 years. Has a total post count of 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    It states the coil is 220/240VAC, so should work direct from the mains.
    Thanks for the reply, I see from the diagram you simply connect the A1 and A2 to mains and L1 and L2 to the same feed. Then when switched on, you have power. I take it earth is just placed at the com earth point and does not go through the contactor?

Best Regards,

Andy

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Protective earths should never be switched.

I'll also mention that in terms of control circuits, any operator controls should be low voltage (IIRC sub 60V), with the common standard being 24VDC.
    Things like push buttons should never be at mains voltage (there are exceptions, but in terms of commercial equipment, controls should be low voltage)

Thank you for the reply, this is a rough diagram of what I am trying to do.

Its taken ages to get this far, the socket will be removed and the mains will go to the RCD. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNCMill.PNG 
Views:	59 
Size:	325.9 KB 
ID:	31683

The problem I was having was the DMM drives were taking too much with the spindle. So having contractors should be a good solution and is recommended by DMM.

Br,

Andy

As you've already got 24VDC, I'd use that to control any contactors, and have the 24VDC PSU hardwired (via a fuse) to your main power switch.

Hello M_C

Thanks for the reply, I need 24v to get to the MASSO - this does not need a contactor per say, and can live without one. Can I use any contactor with 24v or does it have to state that 24v will work?

Br,

Andy

Hello,

I created this drawing - do you think this is a better way of doing this.

I Don't want to get it wrong and zap myself, the components or set fire to the garage.

Br,

AndyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC Mill v2.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	31684

It depends on what you're actually using the contactor for.
    If it's solely to control the main power, so you can use a smaller main switch, then it won't really matter what voltage controls it.

However, if you're using it as part of the E-stop, it should really be 24V.

You need to select a contactor with the correct coil voltage.

Thread Information