. .

Thread: VFD 380v

Hi all i have a quick one that i just need clearing up by someone with more vfd and motor knowledge than me.
    i was told that to use a vfd on a 3 phase motor it had to be 220v/380v compatible not just 380v

can anyone shed any light on this for me please.

i know about star and delta, it was more about the label on the motor without the 220v/380v

Cheers

2. It depends on what output voltage the VFD is.

Generally VFDs output a 3 phase version of whatever voltage you feed in, so if you want to run one from typical 240V single phase, you'd need a motor that can be wired to accept 240V 3 phase. Which for a typical* induction motor, means wiring it as delta, as opposed to star which you would do typical UK 380/415V 3 phase. These motors will usually have a plate that gives dual voltage/current ratings for 230 and 380V.

However, you can get 'boost' VFDs, that will take 240V single phase, and output 380V 3 phase.

I say typical, as I have come across induction motors (generally older ones), that are internally connected as delta but are rated for 380/415V.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Many thanks the motor i have is just 380/415v so i would need the boosted vfd i think.

Thanks again

4. It all depends on if the motor can be changed between delta and star.

Some motors are only labelled for a single voltage, but are changeable. It depends on the manufacturer, and how the purchaser spec'ed the motors.

Many thanks the motor i have is just 380/415v so i would need the boosted vfd i think.

Thanks again

i have a picture of the plate, what would you recommend

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221104_123634.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	31682, ?

i see you have replied to members about the conect 121 don't suppose you have any details on the controller board pinouts.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Slasher102 View Post
    i have a picture of the plate, what would you recommend

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221104_123634.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	31682, ?
    That's a two speed motor which complicates things, but also means it's likely to only run on 380V.
    Dual voltage/dual speed motors are theoretically possible, but it involves switching 12 coils.

Easiest option is a boost VFD. Have a search for them on Aliexpress.
    I personally use CNCWeiken ones - https://cnweiken.aliexpress.com/stor...516106264.html but there is another brand others on here have used however I can't remember the name.

You'll want to eliminate any switching in the wiring between the VFD and motor.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Slasher102 View Post
    i see you have replied to members about the conect 121 don't suppose you have any details on the controller board pinouts.
    No, but from what I remember the main board had a processor built in, so there wasn't really much in the way of pinouts. Just motor/spindle controller connections, along with the serial connector.
    There was an upgrade option for some of thier machines, but a full retrofit would be a better option now.

Thread Information