. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I actually use the free editions of both F360 and Solid Edge. The current free version of F360 is somewhat limited compared to its original version but is still pretty good. The CAD side of it is more-or-less the same anyway but its real benefit is the CAM toolpath generation module and that has been more restricted. However, apart from 4- and 5-axis CAM, most of the limitations can be overcome. On the whole, I think Autodesk have tried to make it difficult for commercial users without completely ruining it for hobby users. But there's a bit of an overlap between these sets of users and not everyone likes having their toys taken away! I didn't, but I use the workarounds and if something equally powerful suddenly became available at the same price (free...) then I expect quite a few people would welcome it.

I have largely moved to SE for CAD, though, as I find it a bit more difficult to use (at first) but it seems more powerful when it comes to larger and more intricate models. You can then export solid models in the standard .stp format, import into F360, and use its CAM for toolpath generation. I tend to stick to F360 for 3D modelling of single objects, though, and SE for complex assemblies.

Horses for courses, and everyone has their own preferences, not least open-source versus free-but-commercial.

Current "Community Edition" is 2023, which is the one I am running.

I have tutorial books on Fusion360 and FreeCAD which I do not need and am happy to post them out as long as my postage and packing costs are covered.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230228_125057.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	31773

I use Turbocad £60, which included Paul on the other end of the phone which is very helpful. He also sent a memory stick on how to use the program in easy lessons, each covering specific topics which makes it easy to revise when you forget how to do something. The support is worth the price you pay for the program.
    https://paulthecad.com/product-category/upgrades/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA-N8SOLLFM
    Last edited by Colin Barron; 04-03-2023 at 02:47 AM. Reason: add detail

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information