. .
    Lives in Southampton, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 469. Received thanks 100 times, giving thanks to others 43 times. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Hi Folks,

I came across this the other day:

https://beacon3d.com/product/beacon/

Its an eddy current sensor that can quickly map the bed of a 3D printer - Has anyone got any experience? Wondering if it could be a useful 3D probe replacement. Looks to have massive advantages of speed (so you could scan a much higher resolution map) but needs to scan conductive surfaces and be placed away from magnets on the gantry/spindle. I could see it being useful for metal work....

Video for interest:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs6UC2xK5t0

Last edited by Muzzer; 03-04-2023 at 05:16 PM.

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 9 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Those and the similar capacitative or inductive proximity sensors are great for things like limit and home switches. There was a demo video posted on the forum quite a few years ago showing how consistent they were. However, I would not use one as a replacement for a 3D sensor as they are not going to pick up fine detail. My 3D printer uses one to check bed level but of course that is sensing against a flat object which is ideal.

I have a fairly cheap and cheerful 3D probe that came with my second-hand CNC mill so when I needed to probe and map a surface to replicate a raised design, I just made a new probe for it with a relatively sharp tip to be able pick up detail, especially close up to almost vertical edges of features. I rewrote the probing macro (under Mach3 which I was using at the time) to speed things up a bit and it all worked pretty well. A sensor like the one shown would not have done the job.

I guess this is only relevant to 3D printing?
    How do you know your gantry is moving in a perfect plane? As I see it you are only measuring the distance between the gantry and the bed not absolute plane

Thread Information