. .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    That's the problem, the motor is about 130mm square and is fits behind the gearbox.
    These motors are no longer made and second hand ones very rarely come up for sale, I did find a 3 Phase motor from the Netherlands(ebay) so jumped on it.
    Not even sure if it works yet(waiting for VFD and other bits and bobs from Ali)
    If the motor is no good i will indeed try and find a suitable 3 Phase dual voltage motor, but it could be a bear if it's much larger than the original.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Given those dimensions, you could probably fit a servo motor.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

John/MC
    Hi Guys
    Just an update on my lack of progress, ordered the VFD/screened cable/Fan/Potentiometer from Aliexpress.
    When I had a look @ the manual for the VFD it stated that it required a 5K Potentiometer (I had ordered a 10K) so had to order a new one, tried to do something similar to Clough42 (James on YouTube) so sourced a breaker and fuse holder off e-bay. Had a problem trying to secure the secondhand 3 phase motor due to the strange mounting arrangement, but as luck would have it the motor end covers off the single phase motor actually fit the main body of the 3 phase motor so one job sorted. Not having much of a clue regarding the fuse requirements I got a couple of 10A and 20A Quick Blow fuses, pottered around making the cables up and eventually got round to connecting everything up to the high speed windings. Turned on the power and the fuse holder illuminated red then the fuse (10A) blew, tried another 10A same/same.
    Installed a 20A this time the red light on the fuse was not illuminated wound up the potentiometer and the motor actually ran(now @ 50 Hz) the problem was that it didn’t seem to be running as fast as I thought it should, I assumed 50Hz per second should have produced 3000 RPM but I don’t think it’s anywhere near that, and I have no way to check it. Went into the menu and managed to increase the frequency to 200Hz and this did increase the RPM, tried to take it to 300Hz but didn’t run very well and would initially run up but then stalled. Had some problems trying to get it back to factory settings but the factory reset didn't work so could not drop the frequency back to 50Hz, after some time in the setup I managed to get it back to 50Hz, but I don’t know if the VFD is damage or the motor is just US.
    Just by accident itouched the EMI filter body and got a shock, checked the voltage on the filter output and it was about 750V. disconnected the leads to the VFD and the output from the EMI filter was back to 240V. connected back up to the VFD and this time ther was an error code E5VC1. came back after a brew and this time it had an error code of E0C3.
    Had a look today and the error code has cleared and managed to bget the motor running at low speed as before, so it's looking a bit sick.
    Had a look online and seem to have found a motor that might be suitable.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114122298...40ba%7Ciid%3A1
    There are 2 speed options 1500 and 3000 RPM.
    I really only require the 1400 and 2800 of the original motor, what would be your opinion of the best motor to go for, will the 1500 motor be able to go upto 2800, i would be going for 0.75Kw so a bit more power that the original motor.

Regards
    Mike

I have installed the second hand motor but it is not ideal seems to run out of puff at higher revs so have deceided to get a nice new, had problems with the inverter from the get go and will be replacing that also. at the moment i have the machine operational via the inverter front panel and i am making the remote switching arrangement. at least i can use the machine now until i install the new kit. the second hand motor was a bad idea in hindsight. thanks for your comments.
    Regards
    Mike

The motor you linked to is single phase so wouldn't work with an inverter.

If you are going to buy a new motor and inverter I strongly suggest that you contact Newton Tesla and get their advice on which of their motor/VFD packages would best suit your needs. Though I did my own install of a 3ph motor and inverter on my mill, when it came to my Super7 in the end I just bought their package and it worked without issue.

Or fit one of the modern brushless servo motors/controllers made for industrial sewing machines. Look up "Jack Sewing Machine Motor" on eBay. Quite a few people have used these and recommend them for mills & lathes.

My bad John, i just did a quick paste of the type i had been looking @(size wise) will need to do some mods to the fan location on the new motor ie mounting it on the drive end as per the original and i should be able to get a fixing off the flange to allow me to fit the original belt guard. will check out Newton Tesla and see whats available. did look at the sewing machine motors originally then got sidetracked when i found the second hand Emco motor.
    Been an expensive journey,but when i get my remote controls sorted the second hand Emco motor will give me an operational machine, and the stress levels have dropped considerably in expectation.
    Regards
    Mike

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    It sounds like the inverter isn't configured correctly for the motor.

Personally, given the space limitations, I'd consider fitting a servo motor and drive, as you get a lot more performance in a smaller size.

The VFD was damaged in trasit so i think a new one would be required if i went with a new motor, unfortunately when it arrived i had a quick look at the user manual and it stated that it required a 5K resistor for the speed control, i had ordered a 10K so by the time a replacement arrived i was out of the free return option. when i did turn it on some time later it blew the quick blow fuse i had installed, bit of a weard one really, i would have axpected a sharp pop imediately i closed the breaker but it sort of fuzzed a bit before blowing, there was an integral LED in the fuse holder and it blew that as well. i checked the output from the VFD with the motor running and it was jumping arround (500/750V) it should be outputing 380V but i now very little about these things, it won't accept a frequency greater than about 300 and if i try to run it at that the motor just runns down, maybe a phase is down.
    What's involved regarding the servo drive and specifically the control of same considering my illiteracy in the electrics department.
    Thanks for you c omments.
    PS forgot to mention i got a shock of the setup(just toucked the line filter case by accident) checked the voltage on the filter output and it was reading about 750V. disconnected the leads to the VFD input, checked the filter output and it was back to 240V. when i reconnected the vfd gave an error code. the following day i turned it on and got a different error code
    a day later when i tried it it seemed to have fixed itself(ish) and thats the state of play at the moment.(seller not responding)
    Regards
    Mike

It would likely still have worked with a 10k pot.
    Even quick blow fuses, only trip fast if they see a big enough current. There are blow speed charts, which show that if only slightly above their rated current, they may take a few minutes to blow.
    The big difference between quick blow and slow blow, is the slow blow allows for an immediate in rush of current without blowing. Over a longer period of time, they act similarly to quick blow.

Measuring the voltage wouldn't likely yield an accurate result with a standard multimeter, due to the switching nature of the VFD output (multimeters are typically designed to measure pure sine wave AC, and the high frequency switched quasi-AC output from a VFD can cause them to read high or low depending on the multimeter input filtering circuit).

If you were to switch to a servo, if you want to control the speed manually, then you'd need one with a drive capable of accepting a +/-10V input (most do, but some cheaper ones are digital input only, so best to get a manual for the drive to check), and some way of generating 0-10V (10V supply and pot, or 12V with an additional resistor in series so the Pot only gets 10V).
    Or if you want to control it via software, you can just wire it to make use of step/dir (or CW/CCW or quadrature depending on your controller).
    And to give an idea of the compactness, 400W and 600W servos can be had in 60mm, or 400W and 750W servos in 80mm frame size. The frame size being the overall size of the front mounting flange.

To give an idea of servo cost-

Lichuan A5 drive with choice of 200-600W 60 size servo - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005440028771.html
    Lichuan A4 drive with 400W 60 size servo - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33049594917.html
    Lichuan A4 drive with 400W 80 size servo - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33050955694.html

The difference between the A4 and A5 drives (and motors), is the A4 uses an incremental motor encoder (outputs your classic AB quadrature), whereas the A5 uses an absolute (17bit) motor encoder. In terms of functional difference, there's not really anything notable.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information