[QUOTE=marbles;132289

Questions

Q. If using ballscrew on all axis should I be looking to use a gear drive with the motors?

Q. What size and pitch of c7 ballscrew on each axis?

Q. Where can I source a T-slot bed or t-slot sections to make a nice rigid bed surface?

Q. Should I be considering using a water cooled spindle with better lower end torque. One of the four or 6 pole 18,000rpm spindle?

Q. If I fabricate most of the frame from 6mm wall box and 12mm laser cut plate what profile size alu extrusion should I use for the gantry?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

As someone who has a "smaller machine" which was built with the aid of Jazz. I can tell you with years of experience that Yes you can most likely build a much better machine than what China is selling. Also I have done a lot of cutting on solid surfaces and one item you will need is high quality dust extraction. You don't want to be breathing the dust at all. Yes, I know what Corian's research says and they were very creative in how they did their safety research. Now one to your questions.

Look up th design I did as it is still here on the forums and fits well within what you are shooting for.

Q1: I use a belt drive on the X (gantry axis) and the Z axis. That is both for space saving in the design and also the benefits that going to a belt drive gives. Y axis is two ballscrews driven independently.

Q2: Given that the prices on C5 ballscrews have come down a reasonable amount I would strongly suggest going with 1605 (same as on my machine currently).

Q3: If you have a good quality machine at present you might be able to mill them yourself and mill spacers to allow for being set into the bed in a way that will best benefit your requirements and what options you will need.

Q4: Solid Surfaces don't need a large amount of torque when cutting them. They easy to machine and once done very stable. It is just that machining that produces some really nasty dust. I have machined Corian to high level of finish with an FME 1050-1 and very reasonable cutting time. I would suggest going with a minimum of a 2.2kw spindle though as it does allow for some additional cutting depth at speed that lighter motor won't give you.

Q5: You could use box section for the gantry as well though it does add a bit of weight. Really that depends on what you have or are comfortable with. I would not use anything below 40 series, but that is just me.

Hope these answers help and seriously from what you asking take a look at the build I did as it should help you a lot in the direction you are heading.

Michael