I think I'm stuck with the milling head for now, no room for anything else - I'm probably going to have to extend the garage before I start the gantry mill :-(

The X / Y leadscrew bearings have already been replaced - the ball bearing ones will have angular contact bearings. The mounting brackets are very different to standard (the ballnut has to go at the back of the table due to space constraints). I've had the Y axis completely apart several times - the gib strip seems ok. The X axis is next but that is behaving better than the Y so I'll get that sorted first (may have to gear the stepper down as I've gone from 2mm to 5mm pitch).

Thanks for the offer of the web pages but I think I've already replaced most of the bits. Have you done any work on the lathe spindle? It's making an annoying clicking noise since I removed the power feed clutch (which never worked properly) - I've got a schematic but it's not very clear and I don't really want to strip that bit down unless I have to.

I'll post piccies when I've got it to a less than totally embarrassing state :-)

Cheers,
Mark