. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sweet. Looks similar to what I was planning, although I'll be using a 3 phase motor and vfd. Any reason for using DC? Where did you get the ER collet with the threaded end or have you made it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    Sweet. Looks similar to what I was planning, although I'll be using a 3 phase motor and vfd. Any reason for using DC? Where did you get the ER collet with the threaded end or have you made it?
    Reason for DC was because you get a smoother torque curve through the speed range (apparently) which means it should still provide decent torque when running slowly, tell you next week...!

I got the ER collet chuck from Fleabay via China, it came with a straight shank and I machined the thread on etc, 19mm x 1mm pitch left hand! Why is nothing ever simple.....
    Last edited by HiltonSteve; 31-03-2010 at 10:54 PM.

Spent another few hours at my DC motor spindle upgrade tonight and I think another couple of hours should see it mounted on the machine and ready to go.

I removed my Z axis from my machine and mounted up the new spindle and motor to it, all went together pretty nicely and pretty much just as I drew it up.

Mounted the motor on a couple of old 15mm linear rails for belt tensioning which may seem a bit over the top but I had a couple of old ones lying around and on further inspection they would not be much good for anything else, certainly made life a bit easier.

Just need to make up a belt tensioning screw tomorrow, get it all back on the machine and wire it up. It looks like it should work so fingers crossed!

Photo's below - think that the bench may need a tidy up after I get it running....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z Axis assy2.jpg 
Views:	785 
Size:	463.8 KB 
ID:	1964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z Axis assy3.jpg 
Views:	629 
Size:	453.1 KB 
ID:	1965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z Axis assy1.jpg 
Views:	788 
Size:	427.4 KB 
ID:	1966  

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HiltonSteve For This Useful Post:

Thread Information