Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
for 25mm/s (1500mm/min) you need to spin those motors at 300rpm. At 72v those motors have a corner speed of 1023rpm so you will be near optimal as regard their torque curve, indeed you might be better off with 1:1 gearing (motors running at 600rpm). Assuming a 20mm screw then you should get pretty close to your goal.

The 3.5Nm motors have a higher inductance and are more marginal than the 3Nm ones at the speed you require with 1:1 gearing... stick with the 3Nm
Thanks for the fast replies - great to get a decisive response!
How did you work out the corner speed of the motors?
When I said 1:2 earlier I meant smaller pulley on the motor to double the torque...the 1Nm wouldn't move without.

The screws are about 25mm I recall, though that's a guess...
Based on a corner speed of 1023rpm, and 1:1, would if be reasonable to expect 40mm/s for traversing? I guess this is difficult to say since there are so may factors.

If 72v is a bit high what would you advise? 60v?
I'm still not sure what to use for the power supply, rewinding a microwave transformer I've got seems an attractive (i.e. cheap) option, so does putting 5 or 6 computer power supplies in series, isolated, for the same reason.

If I buy the motors and drivers tomorrow how soon will you be able to post them. I ask because your website says the PM-752 isn't in stock?

Thanks again for the help...