. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Hi, If you're pouring new bearings why not have the shaft reground and re hardened for a few quid? Failing that I'd try and make sure there were no high spots rather than using w&d to gain the appearance of smooth/round/ground etc.

Are you going to use the lathe or is it ornamental?
    Hi Kip, Oh definitely for use... got several projects planned... including the restoration of two other lathes...

My original thought was to get it reground but was advised by others with greater knowledge that this wasn't a good idea as it would increase the play in the bearing surfaces for the pulleys and back- and bull-gears which could introduce chatter... and that a good polish was sufficient with white metal bearings as long as they were well scraped after... a regrind would take at least 10thou off and this would mean the pulleys running with the backgear would have >15thou bearing clearance which is not good for a oiled bronze bearing IMHO

Log is looking good keep it up, also if you have a look at the link below we do have Bronze bushings for sale and can source alot of diffrent sizes.

If you wanted to take it down more i could have a look for you and see if we can get the right size bushings to fit.

Link: Bronze Bearings
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MYCNCUK_Oil...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

3. Quote Originally Posted by CNCUK View Post
    Log is looking good keep it up, also if you have a look at the link below we do have Bronze bushings for sale and can source alot of diffrent sizes.

If you wanted to take it down more i could have a look for you and see if we can get the right size bushings to fit.

Link: Bronze Bearings
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MYCNCUK_Oil...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
    Well the spindle is 31.75mm OD, 22mm ID so I'd not want to take it down below 30mm OD, which means I'd need to bush the 2 main bearings plus the bullgear plus the small backgear and pulleys so I'd need 4 bushes about 60mm long approx, 30mm ID, 31.75mm OD. To be honest I'd only bush it if the shaft was so bad that it was impossible to get a reasonable life out of white metal bearings, but given its likely workload I think thats a whole lot of pain I dont need right now. Also might be just as cheap to get a new spindle manufactured from 32mm OD, 20mmID stock...

Thread Information