. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi 8iggles,

Knew I'd seen it somewhere, try this:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showth...spindle-design

I just skim read it again and it might be just right for you given your mild loads. Based on a brushless motor intended for model aircraft, cars etc. These are all over ebay (Chinese).

Just off topic briefly, since you asked, the Avatar is my own design - called Precision3. A 1.9m span Patternship running from a 10s Lipo (36v), 2KWatt brushless motor, 100A Opto SC. 5.2kg all up weight, 2 years of design, CAD, hand cut out (pre-CNC m/c!), build, cover and fly. Maiden flight about 1 month ago. Wonderful flier with no downthrust, side thrust or incidence changes required. I'll not be at the green acres - bathroom project (but Cosford LMA is on!). OK, back to the spindle . . .
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Hi 8iggles,

Knew I'd seen it somewhere, try this:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showth...spindle-design

I just skim read it again and it might be just right for you given your mild loads. Based on a brushless motor intended for model aircraft, cars etc. These are all over ebay (Chinese).

Just off topic briefly, since you asked, the Avatar is my own design - called Precision3. A 1.9m span Patternship running from a 10s Lipo (36v), 2KWatt brushless motor, 100A Opto SC. 5.2kg all up weight, 2 years of design, CAD, hand cut out (pre-CNC m/c!), build, cover and fly. Maiden flight about 1 month ago. Wonderful flier with no downthrust, side thrust or incidence changes required. I'll not be at the green acres - bathroom project (but Cosford LMA is on!). OK, back to the spindle . . .
    Yes that looks just right - Mine will not be as posh as that but the size and motor choice looks right...he also talks of the z axis between the Y axis rails as I have done and the tube which is the plunging z axis bit will have the spindle built in it

Precision3 looks great - a lot of hard work... well done on the successful maiden. My son Ollie is flying with Steve Mallinder at CML, so if we go to Cosford I'll try and say hello (sorry off topic)

Thanks Shaun

3. Hi Shaun
    In my DIY spindle I used 32004 single row taper bearings. ER20 chuck rotates at 3000rpm. For me it works better than expected. For details see my Web: http://malamuterun.co.uk/homemade_cnc_mill_spindle.htm . hope that helps

I've been thinking about making my own spindle motor as well. I have a spare dc motor and amplifier lying around but had previously been quoted silly money for high speed bearings. I think those 7205B bearings from arceurotrade go up to 15000 rpm which will do the job.
    I think I'll give them a call tomorrow to confirm and get some ordered if they do go that fast.
    Thanks for the link.

Ian

Thread Information