. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    google exports in COLLADA format---are there free/dirtcheap cad and cam softwares that can use this---NOT DEMOS-not 30 day stuff-NOT 100 POUND/DOLLAR etc--real world working progs that give a finished part on my m/c.

Lives in Nottingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11-11-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 176. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Hmm, cryptic, he is....

Sounds good, i've not come across COLLADA before. A quick search didn't turn up any CAM references though - do you have any links?

All the best, & cheers

I think he means that programs like GoogleEarth use the Collada format to store the features of the earth.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COLLADA

So this must mean that you want to cut out GoogleEarth images on your machine?

I'm sorry I can't help, but with this further info then perhaps others can?
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Thanks for looking at this thread-the newest version of sketchup can export a model in COLLADA . This is some form of file output different from DXF ..STL..etc.The question is ,can I import this in a CAD-CAM program?--is it actally usefull?????? Sketchup modelling is OK---but not much use for cnc..any clues?????

There is an add on for sketch up that exports as a DXF.

Not used it but it does exist.
    John S -

Lives in Nottingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11-11-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 176. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Ahhh, misunderstand, I did... (sorry cncroutman)

I'm not really any use in this discussion. I have exported from sketchup in DXF though - I seem to remember you need a really tidy model, otherwise you end up with broken line segments all over the place, and a nightmare to stitch it all back together again. But that wasn't your question...

Isn't Autocad free?

Just checked,apparentlynot.
    Why do they do that...say its free but its not its just a 30day tial.

8. Autocad has never been free infact the full version will cost as much as a nice second hand car.
    Most software comes with a trial version so you can try it first to see if you like it.
    Some use full functionality for 30 days some restrict the functionality.
    Mach 3 is the same, you can use it for as long as you like, but you need to pay for the license to get full functionality.

PLEASE DONT LOSE THE REASON FOR THIS THREAD:-I like Sketchup but exporting in DXF or STL is rubbish..Does the new Sketchup COLLADA file format give a REAL way of getting G-CODE???? or is it it just another dead end-----Thanks for your interest.

Are you working in 2D or 3D?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information