. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Hi Guys

Few more updates. I've added home/limit switches and run some test cuts. Its starting to become a bit easier now. Here's a link on my website CNC Config Mach3 and TB6560 with some sample cuts and setup.
    I've documented the configuration so anyone else using the same set up can save a bit of time and head scratching.
    The biggest learning curve I think is getting all the software to work, but I use Mach3 and profili2 which do good job. I'm also looking at InkScape as there is a gcode extension for it. Might use this to cut fuselages.

Keith

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rckeith For This Useful Post:

3. This video show the flying wing I made with the cnc foma cutter its on my video page RC Video's - rcKeith | Projects

It was a quick test to see how it could cut wings and what a fantastic flyer its is. Its my favorite flyer now. Goes like stink and can fly at snails pace as well.
    Have now purchase DevFus software to make fuselages which I going to test on a 50 inch wing span Hurricane.

Keith

4. I've added a lot of details to my build including plans, instructions and parts/cutting lists all at my website www.rckeith.co.uk . I've have a video almost ready that should be up in a few days on using Profili Pro 2 for cutting foam wings which I'll then follow up with one on Dev Fus Foam. I've used these to produce a 50 inch Wing span Hawker Hurricane. A few images below. Not finished yet because of other stuff getting in the way. I'm now looking to build a CNC router probably a Openbuilds OX but also may try and build Mark Carew's Phlatprinter this seem ideal for producing foam models. I like the fact its fairly compact and can produce large parts.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hotwire-assms2.jpg 
Views:	1645 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	15864  
    Attached Images Attached Images   

5. Hi GeorgeD

Yes the width can be adjusted to suit. The only thing between the towers is the hot wire,

Keith

How do Keith.

You do well to put the towers on a sliding base for differing widths apart.

ie use some T channel aluminium rack and rebate the T track in 25mm baseboard and then space the towers when ever you feel the need to widen them?or just have them permanently affixed to a base board because there's no stability in that design ie a gust of wind will blow em over :heehee: and thats not good for the motors//mechanics if you want to avoid damage.

7. Hi George

The towers will be clamped/screwed down on a base. The tension on the hot wire would certainly pull them over. The main reason I chose this design is that I have quite a small workshop so when not in use I can store them away. Once I've built this one I'd like to do a cnc router but I'll really need to work that one out, with the space I have. Problem I have is that a lot of space is taken up by 10 radio controlled planes of different sizes and I have 2 kits that I haven't even started yet.

Keith

Not to big...hmmm! how about this size? fits neatley on the workbench and has a static z axis,could easily be made to the size of your requirements.

http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/tweakie2.jpg

http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/

9. Hi George

Phew! what a website. Very impressive certainly an inspiration to us all. I'll have a good read of it later certainly some real good information. Have you any recommnedations for lead screws at a reasonable cost. I've seen foam cutters done with threaded rod but most peope seem to recommended a ACME screw thread.

Keith

I'm making my own lead screws from Derlin.

I could make you some at a reasonable price,send me a PM if interested?

For your foam cutter,M12 threaded rod will suffice.

oops! make that....

Making my own ball nuts from Derlin. lol
    Last edited by GeorgeD; 13-08-2010 at 11:11 AM.

That is a good machine, cant go wrong with linear rails, metal construction and fixed gantry

oops! make that....

Making my own ball nuts from Derlin. lol
    Or even Leadscrew nuts???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information