. .
Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well done Neil, it's looking brilliant from down here!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyGuid View Post
    Well done Neil, it's looking brilliant from down here!
    Cheers Andy, looks OK from here although I've a list of things I'd do differently next time as I've a few niggles and annoyances. Once I've got this finished and running to my satisfaction I'll put a list of things I'd do differently in a post.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Ok so been playing with Cambam and doing various test cuts in a scrap piece of MDF playing with Step overs, feeds and speeds etc. Even did some peck drilling in preparation for drilling the base plate to bolt down a spoil board (MDF to start before a Tuffnol one I've got) so spoil board looks rather used...

My work area is 970mm x 495mm so not quite as large as I'd hoped...but more than enough for what I want at the moment.
    Neil...

Build log...here

BUGGER!!!!!!!!

Spot the snapped tap in the bed...

Close up....

Which makes the sacrificial bed look like this...

Closer...what's missing from this one???!!!!!

Any suggestions for getting the tap out in situ guys??????
    Last edited by njhussey; 17-09-2015 at 05:14 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Damn, always happens just when you don't need it. I've seen broken taps removed using a small punch or point and hammer to carefully unscrew them. Whether it will work depends how well the thread is cut I'd guess. Good luck.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobblycogs For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblycogs View Post
    Damn, always happens just when you don't need it. I've seen broken taps removed using a small punch or point and hammer to carefully unscrew them. Whether it will work depends how well the thread is cut I'd guess. Good luck.
    I've some bits to cut tomorrow that don't require absolute precision so ill surface the bed and then think about it.

There was a thread where someone used Alum to dissolve the tap...trouble is I'd need a big pan to simmer the bed in!!!

Ultimately it won't matter as I'll be doing the T slotted base thingy...but it's still annoying!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Ultimately it won't matter as I'll be doing the T slotted base thingy...but it's still annoying!
    Neil are you thinking to T-slot the bed on the machine using the spindle.? IF so then you'll struggle because the spindle is far too fast for T-slot cutters.
    Personally I find a matrix of tapped holes is far more versatile than T-slot and easy to do on the machine.

Sorry to see snapped tap.!! Done it my self so know how it feels.!. . . Proper B@~~rd to get out. I just pecked away at it with pointy centre punch and kind of half destroyed it untill came came apart and loosened.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Neil are you thinking to T-slot the bed on the machine using the spindle.? IF so then you'll struggle because the spindle is far too fast for T-slot cutters.
    Personally I find a matrix of tapped holes is far more versatile than T-slot and easy to do on the machine.

Sorry to see snapped tap.!! Done it my self so know how it feels.!. . . Proper B@~~rd to get out. I just pecked away at it with pointy centre punch and kind of half destroyed it untill came came apart and loosened.
    No I'm cutting 16mm wide by 6mm deep horizontally and then putting 5mm flat strip over the top to create it....
    Neil...

Build log...here

The one thing I've found from playing with my router so far is that I need home switches as I can't consistently home to the same place if Mach is switched off or sometimes even if I load a different program...first job on the list after doing some plastic thrust bearings for an urgent breakdown job for Cadburys......
    Neil...

Build log...here

Been making chips today...plastic ones after surfacing the spoil board.

Can't seem to get a good surface finish on a 1mm depth cut on the UHMWPE, can get a nice finish when going 2mm deep on cutting the I'D & ODs....using a single flute carbide cutter....needs more playing
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread Information