. .
Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Dean, the plan is to put a second floor of 18mm ply screwed to it and then bolt the machine through the floor and into the base which has 12 4" x 4" posts concreted into the ground.
    Ah Ok that sounds a good plan I'd hate for you to tip your new shed over on first job. . Lol

Michael Marino has his machine in similar sized shed which is super organised with shelf's etc and I remember when took it up to him saying about machine shaking shed and stuff falling off. . . . He'd only had crappy merchant dice snail before this machine and think he thought I was joking.!! . . . He soon realised I wasn't when it tried to walk off the bench and out the door. . . Lol . . . . . And that was at half it's capable speed.!!

That machine and gantry was half the size and weight yours will be.!!!!! . . . . Fasten it well.. .Lol
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 14-09-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Ordered one lot of linear rails 1190mm long with 8 blocks on Thursday night, they arrived from Korea today at 8.45am......that's fast...straight through and no stopping at customs (if you know what I mean ) These I'll cut into two lengths, one 750mm long for the Y axis and one 420mm long for the Z axis. Ordered the ballscrews from Chai today so waiting on one more lot of linear rails (1390mm long for X axis) and the ballscrews and then I can start the build in earnest!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Y&Z rails-1.JPG 
Views:	511 
Size:	399.1 KB 
ID:	10140

Name:	Y&Z rails-2.JPG 
Views:	479 
Size:	370.0 KB 
ID:	10141

Name:	Y&Z rails-3.JPG 
Views:	460 
Size:	368.9 KB 
ID:	10142

Name:	Y&Z rails-4.JPG 
Views:	468 
Size:	389.4 KB 
ID:	10143
    Neil...

Build log...here

The shed's looking good as are the rails. I got stung for fifty quid and a two and half week delay with the rails I imported, I obviously don't have any luck at the moment.

I was lucky, not complaining as I've always had the fee (which I don't mind as it's the law) on imported stuff so a bit of a change. You got your steppers and drivers yet? Which ones you going for? I was thinking of the Leadshine AM882 from Zapp and the Nema 23 3.1Nm stepper motors from cnc4you...plus looking at making my own (gulp...) PSU.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Going to draw it up in a meaningful package as its in Sketchup at the moment. Got SW so will have a play with that and do some proper drawings. Either that or just do them in CAD :)
    Neil...

Build log...here

1390mm long 20mm NSK linear rails came in at 8.30 this morning so I have all my rails now. Just need to inspect them but they're wrapped pretty well and the box isn't too mangled so I'm hoping they're straight still! Hoping Chai sends my ballscrews (1610 for X & Y and 1605 for Z) soon. Ordering steel today hopefully, just waiting on prices back...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Well checking the FEDEX tracking number Chai gave me and my ball screws are in France at the moment!
    Remembering Kingcreaky's build thread where he got different ball nut housings than he thought he was getting I asked Chai for the data sheet. Good job I did as they are different from what I thought I'd be getting (best ask before ordering next time just to make sure!) so I'd best re-draw them and adjust the mounting points accordingly...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Good job I did as they are different from what I thought I'd be getting (best ask before ordering next time just to make sure!) so I'd best re-draw them and adjust the mounting points accordingly...
    That's exactly why I won't make parts for folks unless dimensions are taken directly off the parts or they have them in hand so know which data sheets to work from.! . . .Even then I prefer them in my hands so I can do the measuring.!!

I'm drawing up the gantry plates at the moment in Draftsight so should have some CAD models soon. I'm in two minds whether to do the end plates with slots in so the top/bottom/front plates are located in the end plates (remember seeing something like that on a build you did for someone) or whether to fit the end plate on square to the ends and have less machining?
    Yes I'm waiting to get all the bits in my grubby paws before doing the final drawings just for that reason, so I can check all components are as they should be...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Nuts bolts etc I'll get from one of my works suppliers...

Its a low profile one to fit between the Z axis plates without more machining, I'll put a pic up later if I've got one at home.

PSUs are Dell server PSUs which you can pick up off eBay. Normally twinned to get 24V by floating the earth on one and putting in series...or so I'm led to believe!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread Information