. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Now there's a subject close to my heart :rofl:

Here's a useful link...

http://www.dms-diemould.co.uk/

I started making an injection moulder because I didn't have room for the real thing in the garage. Then I suddenly got space and bought an old 25 ton Arburg, haven't plumbed it in to the 3 phase yet.

The point being, I have most of a home brew, fully automatic injection moulder about 6 feet behind me. All hydraulic, opens closes, ejects, injects from a hot pot a la Travin, measures plastic in, heaters all wired up with a digital thermostat, plugs in to a paralell port for all the critical timings etc.

I don't really want to sell it, but I can be arsed to finish it. If you are interested I am sure we can come to some arrangement :naughty:

Lives in Swansea, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22-05-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 61. Received thanks 10 times, giving thanks to others 9 times.
    Anyone tried DIY iinjection moulding with a glue gun ? I think you can get nylon and polyethylene glue gun rods:

http://www.mutr.co.uk/index.php?cPath=56_19_57

Aww I'd just finished typing a really long post then the webbrowser crashed :(.
    Anyway....take 2

I've seen/used a 'manual' injection moulder at school. It requires a LOT of force to pull the lever to inject the plastic. As in hanging off the lever with my feet off the ground isn't enough (granted I was only about 15 at the time but you get the idea) .... so I'm not sure a Z-axis would be up to it. Then again you do get a huge mechanical advantage with a screw, but is it going to be fast enough? The machine you had a pot which you put the plastic pellets in, waited for it to melt... then squash so quite simple really. I could try and get a picture of it if you like?

I think your main issue might be making the mould. There are only two moulds for the one at school - both made by the teacher. He told me they were difficult and took a long time to make, especially since he used the surface grinder on the mating faces of the two parts. I guess it could be easier to CNC mill the mould, but still something to consider.

I don't mean to put you off, just thinking aloud that's all!

R.E. Bobbin making.
    Couldn't you just cut them out of a sheet and use a T-slot cutter to do the undercutting? That way you could machine the lot in one go.....and tessellate lots onto a sheet of plastic.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

Thread Information